看美剧学英语:五个用来表达“自作自受”的英语习语
通过观看美剧《亿万》、《纸牌屋》、《硅谷》、《老友记》、《马男波杰克》学习“搬起石头砸自己的脚,自作自受、自食恶果、咎由自取、引火上身、自取其辱、自掘坟墓……”等相关意境的五个地道英语习语表达。

场景一:选自美剧《亿万》S01E03
Body:a group of people who work or act together, often for an official purpose, or who’re connected in some other way. (团体、社团、群体,这里指董事会)Delegate sth to sb:1、To give/entrust sb duties, responsibilites, power, etc. so that they can act on someone’s behalf. (把…委托给某人)
2、A person who is chosen to vote or make decisions on behalf of a group of other people, especially at a conference or a meeting. (代表,尤指会议代表)
E.G. The meeting was attened by delegates from 91 countries. 会议有来自91个国家的代表参与。
Mr. Purk:Second? 有第二位同意的吗?
BM 2: Second. 我第二个赞成
Burned down with one’s own match:taste one’s own medicine or be hoisted [hɔɪstid] by one’s own petard[pə’tɑːd]. (引火上身、自作自受)
endorsement: A public statement or action showing that you support sb /sth. (Here it mean the board will write her a nice reference letter)
——>>Goodluck, Evelyn. 好运 伊芙琳
场景二:选自美剧《纸牌屋》S03E05
Remy: And what about Silva? 那西尔瓦呢?
Frank: The details on the disaster projections are very inside baseball. 灾难预测的细节完全是业内黑话。
——>> We can’t fire him! If there’s a hurricane [‘hʌrɪkən], 我们不能解雇他!要是来了一场飓风,
——>> he’s the only guy that can keep a disaster from becoming a catastrophe. 他是唯一能避免灾难彻底失控的人。
——>> And what’s Dunbar saying? 邓巴怎么说?
Seth: Nothing yet, publicly. 她还没有公开表态。
——>> She’s probably letting this play out. 她大概是在静观其变。
Frank:Letting me dig my own grave. 等我自己把自己埋进坟墓。

场景三:选自美剧《硅谷》S02E05
Richard:Guys, look, Jared gave up his own apartment 伙计们,你们看,贾里德放弃了自己的公寓
——>> so he could take less salary and save the company money. 这样他就能拿更少的薪水,为公司省钱。
Richard:I mean, Erlich, can he just stay here? 我的意思是,埃利奇,他能不能就住在这里?
Erlich:Once again, because of your poor managerial skills, 又一次,因为你糟糕的管理能力,
——>> I’ve been hoisted upon my own petard. 我自食其果了。
——>> Yes, he can stay here. 是的,他可以住在这里。
Richard:Great. So, um, which room can he stay in? 太好了,那么,他能住哪个房间呢?
Erlich:Well, he’s not staying in mine. 好吧,他绝不能住我那间。
——>> I sleep dick-up. 我睡觉的时候小弟弟朝上。
场景四:选自美剧《老友记》S02E05
Chandler:So do you think, uh, Joey is more charming than me? 所以,你觉得,呃,乔伊比我更有魅力吗?
Monica:Yeah. That’s why I’m sleeping with him on the side. 对啊,这就是为什么我暗地里跟他上床。
Chandler:Yeah, you wish. 想得美。
Ross: “You wish.” “想得美。”
——>> Phoebe, stop writing about us. 菲比,别写关于我们的事了。
Phoebe:I’m not writing about you. 我没写你们。
——>> I’m writing about other people. 我写的是别人。
Chandler:Who? 谁?
Phoebe:Marsha and Chester. 玛莎和切斯特。
Ross:Okay, fine. Fine. 那好,好。
——>> Then you know what? I will just write about Phyllis. 那你知道吗?我就写菲丽丝好了。
Phoebe:Hmm. 嗯。
Ross:Huh. 哼。
——>> “Phyllis is sitting in the chair.” “菲丽丝正坐在椅子上。”
Phoebe:I see what you’re doing. 我知道你在干什么。
Ross:”Phyllis sees what I’m doing.” “菲丽丝知道我在干什么。”
Phoebe:Oh, ho. 哦哟。
——>> Ooh, I have tasted my own medicine and it is bitter. 噢,我尝到了自食其果的滋味,真苦啊。
场景五:选自美剧《马男波杰克》S02E05
News Anchor: Fowl run afoul. A funky chicken has flown the coop, 禽鸟惹祸,一只怪鸡逃出了笼子,
——>> and for a concerned populace, the sky is falling. 对忧心忡忡的民众来说,这简直是“天塌下来了”。
-
“Fowl run afoul” 双关:fowl(家禽)+ afoul(惹祸、出乱子)。
-
“flown the coop” 成语:意为“逃跑”,直译是“飞出鸡舍”。
-
“the sky is falling” 成语:指小题大做,鸡小弟故事里的名句。
Reporter: Michael Morgan, Chicken 4 Dayz CEO, 迈克尔·摩根,“天天吃鸡”公司的首席执行官,
——>> this is a public safety hazard, and your company is responsible. 这是一起公共安全隐患,而贵公司必须负责。
Reporter: Admit it, you counted your chickens before they hatched, 承认吧,你们还没孵出小鸡就开始数数,
——>> and now, those chickens have come home to roost. 现在,这些鸡全都飞回家报应到自己头上了。
-
“count your chickens before they hatched” 成语:意为“过早乐观、打如意算盘”。
-
“chickens come home to roost” 成语:意为“自食其果、报应来了”。
Michael Morgan: Tom, I want to take full responsibility for this mishap. 汤姆,我愿意为这次意外承担全部责任。


