看美剧亿万学英语:Axe与Taylor针锋相对
这是《亿万》第四季第八集中鲍比·“艾克斯”·阿克塞尔罗德(Axe Capital 创始人)与其昔日门生、现为竞争对手(Mason Capital 创始人)泰勒·梅森之间激烈且 deeply personal 敌意的高潮对决。
场景发生在一场金融直播访谈节目中。泰勒刚结束他们的访谈环节,主持人便请出艾克斯,深知两人之间的过往恩怨一触即发。艾克斯毫不犹豫地对泰勒发动了精心算计的人格诋毁攻击。他将泰勒描绘成:
-
不道德:愿意接手连艾克斯自己都拒绝的、来路不正的俄罗斯寡头资金。
-
不忠诚:一个离开他的师导、并窃取其业务的背叛者。
-
奸诈:甚至声称(通过传言)泰勒为了利益出卖了自己父亲的公司,暗示其本性低劣。
艾克斯的策略是将自己塑造成坚守“忠诚”与“人情”的旧派卫士,同时将泰勒描绘成一个冷酷无情、唯利是图、不可信任的量化交易员。当主持人透露泰勒正在线上并要求回应时,局势瞬间剧变。原本一面倒的攻击立刻升级为一场 毫无保留的直播电视对决。随后的交锋堪称言语战争的典范:
-
泰勒 将焦点转移到一个实质性的商业问题上——艾克斯对压裂炼油厂的投资——攻击其环境与金融风险。
-
艾克斯 驳斥这些担忧,并指责泰勒是在“为自己的头寸说话”(操纵舆论以利于其自身财务头寸)。
-
冲突迅速升级为人身攻击,艾克斯嘲笑泰勒年轻缺乏经验,而泰勒则使出最致命一击:提醒公众艾克斯最不光彩的公开秘密——他曾从911悲剧中获利。
场景以艾克斯就双方交易员即将进行的一场慈善拳击赛提出百万美元赌约告终,而泰勒则占据道德制高点,宣布不与恶霸谈判。这次对抗是一个关键转折点,巩固了他们的竞争关系,成为该季的核心冲突,并展示了现代商业战争如何在市场与舆论场两个战场同时进行。
Host: Axe, so I’m sure you know, 艾克斯,我相信你知道,
——>> Taylor Mason was just on the show. 泰勒·梅森刚刚上过节目。
Axe: Taylor’s got a sharp mind. 泰勒头脑敏锐。
——>> I saw it right away, cultivated it. 我一眼就看出来了,并培养了他们。
——>> Unfortunately I had to show them the door 不幸的是,我不得不请他们离开,
——>> once their ethics became clear. 一旦他们的道德准则变得明确。
Host: What are you saying? Be more explicit. 您想说什么?请说得更明确些。
——>> That they’re dirty? 是说他们不干净吗?
Spectator: Oh come on, that’s bullshit.-哦得了吧,胡说八道。
Axe: Put it this way: 这么说吧:
——>> you either want to be in bed with the Russian oligarchs [‘ɒlɪɡɑːkz] or you don’t 你要么想和俄罗斯寡头同流合污,要么不想——
Host: Didn’t Taylor meet him through you? 难道泰勒不是通过你认识他的吗?
Axe: Yes. Yes, and when I refused to take his money on board, 是的。是的,当我拒绝让他的资金进入公司时,
——>> because I didn’t feel good about where it came from, 因为我对他的钱来路不正感到不安,
——>> Taylor didn’t hesitate to grab it. 泰勒却毫不犹豫地抓住了它。
——>> And then they lost all the money anyway. 然后他们还是把那笔钱全亏光了。
——>> Look, look, a person 你看,你看,一个
——>> who’d sell out their own father– 会出卖自己父亲的人——
——>> there’s a chip missing there, you know what I mean? 那里缺了点什么(指人性),你明白我的意思吗? (类似中文表达:这人缺根弦)
“A chip missing” is an informal, figurative way of saying that someone is not emotionally or morally complete — meaning there’s something fundamentally off in their character, conscience, empathy, or basic human decency. It suggests the person lacks a “piece” that most normal people have. (在这个语境中,“a chip missing” 是一种非正式的比喻表达,意思是:一个人在情感或道德上缺了某个关键部分——也就是性格、良知、同理心或基本人性方面有点不正常。它暗示这个人缺少一般人都会有的“那一块”。)
Host: You got specifics on that? 您有具体细节吗?
Axe: Well. There was a rumor– you know, their– 嗯。有传言——你知道,他们的——
——>> their father had a company, 他们的父亲有一家公司,
——>> and Taylor flipped it for their own profit. 而泰勒为了自己的利益把它卖掉了。
Flipped sth for one’s own profit:To take something (often bought cheaply, acquired easily, or gained through opportunity), resell it or use it in a way that brings personal financial gain, usually quickly and opportunistically. (把某样东西(通常是低价买到、轻易取得或通过机会得到的东西)转手获利、私自牟利,往往带有投机、快速套利的意味。)
Daily Conversation:
He bought that guitar for almost nothing and flipped it for his own profit.
他几乎白拿到那把吉他,然后转手牟利。She found a limited-edition jacket and flipped it for her own profit.
她找到一件限量外套然后转手赚钱。Business Context:
The vendor flipped the data package for his own profit.
那个供应商把数据包转手牟利。He flipped the unused licenses for his own profit.
他把那些闲置授权转手获利。
——>> Bottom line is this, 底线是,(关键是)
——>> it’s a relationship business. 这是一个人情生意。
——>> Now, they can call me a dinosaur if they want, 现在,他们想叫我老古董随他们便,
——>> but loyalty is still a very important quality to me. 但忠诚对我来说仍然是非常重要的品质。
——>> And Taylor Mason, unfortunately, is someone you can’t trust. 而泰勒·梅森,不幸的是,是一个你不能信任的人。
Host: Axe. Really great to have you on–We appreciate it. 艾克斯。非常高兴您能来——我们非常感谢。
Axe: Sure. Yeah. It’s been great having– 当然。是的。很高兴能——
Host: Yeah? 嗯?
——>> Taylor just called in. 泰勒刚刚打电话进来了。
——>> Axe, we did not plan this. 艾克斯,我们没计划这样。
——>> I swear, we would never ambush you. 我发誓,我们绝不会伏击您。
——>> You want to get out of here? 您想离开吗?
Axe: No. No. Put them on. It’ll be fun. 不。不。接进来。会很有趣的。
Host: – Ready? – Ready. 准备好了吗?准备好了。
——>> Okay. Uh. Taylor, welcome back. 好的。呃。泰勒,欢迎回来。
——>> I know you want to respond to some of these things… 我知道你想回应一些事情……
Taylor: Axe is on the defensive because he knows 艾克斯处于守势,因为他知道
——>> he’s dead wrong about the fracking refineries [rɪ’faɪnəriz]. 他在压裂炼油厂的问题上大错特错。
——>> We’ve all heard the horror stories: 我们都听过那些恐怖故事:
——>> lightning coming out of faucets, earthquakes. 水龙头喷出火焰,地震。
——>> New York State banned fracking 纽约州禁止压裂
——>> because it’s not safe to take the stuff out of the ground. 因为把这些东西从地下弄出来不安全。
——>> So why’s it a good idea to truck it in from Pennsylvania? 那么从宾夕法尼亚州用卡车运进来就是个好主意吗?
Axe: Taylor, you’re smarter than that. 泰勒,你比那聪明。
——>> The whole flames thing is an urban legend, 整个火焰的事是都市传说,
——>> this whole thing is safe, 这整个事情是安全的,
——>> and you don’t care about safe anyway. 而且你根本不在乎安全。
——>> – You’re just talking your book. – Yeah. – 你只是在为自己的头寸说话(指为了自身利益而发表观点)。- 是啊。
Taylor: That’s more your style, Axe. 那更像是你的风格,艾克斯。
——>> I talk numbers and facts. 我谈数字和事实。
——>> I don’t lobby behind the scenes. 我不会在幕后游说。
——>> Or pretend I fired someone 或者假装我开除了
——>> who bested me every which way. 一个在各方面都击败了我的人。
Axe: Besting me? 击败我?
——>> Is that what you’re calling lying and pilfering [‘pɪlfə(r)] ? 这就是你所谓的撒谎和偷窃吗?
——>> With nothing to show for it, by the way. 顺便说一句,什么都没捞着。
Taylor: You mean besides the Firefighters Fund? 你是指除了消防员基金之外吗?
——>> The jewel in your crown, and they came to me. 你皇冠上的明珠,而他们来找我了。
——>> They were finally fed up with your legal troubles– 他们终于受够了你的法律麻烦——
——>> not to mention the killing you made on 9/11, 更别提你在9/11事件中赚的昧心钱,
——>> profiting from tragedy. 从悲剧中获利。
Axe: You are way out of your depth. 你根本力所不及。
——>> I’ve been crushing the S&P since you were in 我在标普指数上大杀四方的时候,你还在
——>> fucking footie pajamas 穿他妈的连脚睡衣呢!(对应中文的开档裤)
——>> – Yeah! – Fuck, yeah! – 没错!- 他妈的对极了!
——>> And now you’re about to take a bath on the refineries, 而现在你就要在炼油厂上亏大钱了,
——>> so you’re coming on TV to kill the stock. 所以你上电视来打压股价。
Host: – Guys. Maybe– 各位。也许
Axe: Taylor, the fact is, you stabbed me in the back. 泰勒,事实是,你在我背后捅了刀子。
——>> You’re down a few billion AUM 你管理的资产规模跌了几十亿
——>> and now you’re trying to salvage 现在你想通过攻击我
——>> your tanking company by attacking me. 来拯救你濒临破产的公司。
——>> But I’m gonna kick your ass in the energy sector, 但我会在能源领域把你打趴下,
——>> same way I’m gonna kick your ass in the ring. 就像我会在拳击场上把你打趴下一样。
Host: Hold on. Hold on now– for our audience at home 等等。等一下——为了我们在家的观众
——>> that doesn’t know what’s going on– 他们可能不知道发生了什么——
——>> he’s not literally going to beat Taylor up. 他不是真的要殴打泰勒。
——>> Their traders are about to slug it out for charity. 他们的交易员即将为慈善机构进行一场拳击赛。
Axe: You know what? I’ll bet Taylor 你知道吗?我跟泰勒打赌
——>> one million dollars that my man beats theirs. 一百万美金,我的人会打败他们的人。
——>> Two million he knocks him out. 两百万赌他能击倒对手。
Host: Taylor, you want to respond to that? 泰勒,你想回应这个吗?
Taylor: I don’t negotiate with bullies. 我不和恶霸谈判。
——>> He’s trying to box me in. But I have a choice. 他试图困住我。但我有选择。
——>> And it’s one many on the Street 这也是华尔街许多人
——>> are starting to recognize and take. 开始认识到并正在做的选择。
——>> And that is: to not do business with Bobby Axelrod. 那就是:不和鲍比·阿克塞尔罗德做生意。
——>> It’s why I left Axe Cap, 这就是我离开艾克斯资本的原因,
——>> and why many of his investors are fleeing too. 也是他的许多投资者也在逃离的原因。
Host: – Taylor, you’re– – Hey. Sorry. Sorry guys, we’ve gotta wrap it up, – 泰勒,你—— – 嘿。抱歉。抱歉各位,我们得结束了,
——>> it’s been interesting to say the least… 至少可以说,非常有趣……
Woman 1: Well. Fucking. Done. 干得。真他妈。漂亮。
Taylor: Thank you for the firefighter prompt. 谢谢你关于消防员基金的提示。
——>> Your timing was perfect. 你的时机恰到好处。
Woman 1: I’m happy it was useful. 很高兴它能派上用场。
Axe: As the adrenaline [ə’drenəlɪn] recedes, 随着肾上腺素消退,
——>> I’m starting to get a new perspective. 我开始有了新的看法。
——>> That didn’t actually go so well, did it? 刚才其实进行得不太顺利,是吗?
Wendy: Depends. Were you aiming to be 这要看情况。你的目标是成为
——>> the Henry Rollins of Wall Street? 华尔街的亨利·罗林斯吗?
——>> All aggro [‘æɡrəʊ] rage. 充满攻击性的愤怒。
——>> I’m not sure that’s gonna help your fracking position. 我不确定那会对你的压裂立场有帮助。
——>> This is all my fault. 这都是我的错。
——>> I’m sorry I didn’t have my shit together earlier. 抱歉我之前没准备好。
Mike: Lobbying ain’t gonna be enough. 游说是不够的。
Axe: Yeah. Not by the usual methods. 是啊。用常规方法不行。
——>> We need to do more. 我们需要做得更多。



