看美剧绝望主妇学英语地道口语表达:S08E08
在这一段剧情中,Gaby 来到 Carlos 的公司原本只是为了替他签工资单,却突然发现一个大麻烦在等着她:公司最大客户之一 Frank Sweeney 正怒气冲冲赶来找 Carlos,而行政人员 Marilyn 怎么也联系不上他。由于 Carlos 此时正深陷 酒瘾问题(这是第八季的重要故事线),Gaby 不想让任何人知道真相,于是谎称他“得了流感”,试图自己顶上。为了稳住 Frank,她开始用自己惯有的 美貌加社交技巧,甚至不惜用调情方式拖住局面——但这一切当然效果有限,甚至差点闹得更尴尬,她才会后来夸张地说:“再有30秒我就要对他露胸了(flashing him a boob)”。

这时公司年轻的高级客户经理 Geoffrey 及时出现。他不仅专业、有礼,还懂得 Frank 的业务需求,迅速接手对话,成功稳住了客户,把整个危机化解。Frank 对他印象深刻,而 Gaby 也终于得以脱身。然而 Geoffrey 对两件事感到不寻常:1、Carlos 一向非常重视 Sweeney,一听说他进城就会赶来;2、“流感”显然不足以解释 Carlos 的缺席。于是他询问 Gaby 真相。为了维护 Carlos 的尊严,Gaby 只好透露他最近醉得很严重,需要时间调整心态。出于对 Carlos 多年来关照的感激,Geoffrey 真心希望帮助他,甚至主动承担起这段时间的业务工作,让 Gaby 回家照顾 Carlos。
Gaby: Oh! Hey, Marilyn. 哦!嘿,玛丽莲。
Marilyn: Oh, Mrs. Solis, thank God. 哦,索利斯太太,谢天谢地。
——>> I’ve been trying to reach Carlos, 我一直在联系卡洛斯,
——>> and it keeps going to voice mail. 但一直转语音信箱。
Gaby: Oh, it’s okay. No need to bother Carlos. 哦,没关系。不用麻烦卡洛斯。
——>> I’m here to sign the payroll. 我是来签工资单的。
Marilyn: This isn’t about the payroll. 不是工资单的事。
——>> Frank Sweeney, one of our biggest clients– 弗兰克·斯威尼,我们最大的客户之一——
——>> He’s on his way here, and he did not sound happy. 他正过来这里,而且听起来很不高兴。
——>> I’m gonna try Carlos again. 我再试试联系卡洛斯。
Gaby: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait. I, uh… 喔,喔,喔。等等。我,呃……
——>> I don’t wanna stress out Carlos. 我不想让卡洛斯有压力。
——>> He’s home with the flu. Besides, I’m here. 他得了流感在家休息。再说了,有我在呢。
Marilyn: How does that help? 有您在有什么用?
Gaby: I know Frank Sweeney. 我认识弗兰克·斯威尼。
——>> He grabbed my ass at the Christmas party. 他在圣诞派对上摸过我屁股。
——>> Actually, a lot of guys did. 其实,好多人都摸过。
——>> That was a good party. 那派对真不错。
Marilyn: Yes, it was. 确实。
Gaby: Leave this guy to me. 这家伙交给我了。
——>> I know I’m setting women’s lib back 20 years, 我知道我这是让妇女解放运动倒退20年,
——>> but I can do this. 但我能搞定。
——>> So, Frank… 那么,弗兰克……
——>> It’s been forever. 好久不见了。
——>> When’s the last time we’ve seen each other? 我们上次见面是什么时候?
Frank: Uh… I’m not sure. 呃……我不太确定。
Gaby: I am. 我记得。
——>> Jingle bells, jingle bells 铃儿响叮当,铃儿响叮当
——>> Jingle all the way 铃儿响叮当
Frank: I-is Carlos coming in? 卡-卡洛斯会来吗?
——>> I really need to speak with him. 我真的需要和他谈谈。
Gaby: Well, aren’t you all business? 哎呀,你就只谈公事吗?
——>> Ooh, and all muscle, too. 哦,还一身肌肉呢。
Frank: Does Carlos even know I’m here? 卡洛斯到底知不知道我来了?
——>> I mean, if he doesn’t take an $80 million account seriously– 我的意思是,如果他都不认真对待一个八千万美元的账户——
Gaby: No, no, of course he takes it seriously. 不,不,他当然认真对待。
——>> What are you doing? 你在干什么?
——>> In my modeling days, 我当模特的时候,
——>> we called this “The money-maker.” 我们管这叫“摇钱树姿势”。
Frank: Well, now it looks like a neck spasm [‘spæzəm]. 嗯,现在看起来像脖子抽筋。
——>> Look, where is Carlos? 我说,卡洛斯到底在哪儿?
——>> I don’t know what kind of business he’s running here, 我不知道他在这儿是怎么做生意的,
——>> but if he thinks he can pawn his clients off on his wife— 但如果他觉得可以把客户推给他老婆——
Gaby: No, no, no, no. 不,不,不,不。
——>> We understand you’ve been a little unhappy, 我们理解您有点不满意,
——>> and we… want you to know you’ve been heard. 我们……想让您知道,您的意见我们听到了。
Frank: I haven’t said anything yet. 我还什么都没说呢。
Geoffrey: Knock, knock. 咚咚。(模仿敲门声)
——>> Mr. Sweeney, sir. Heard you were in the building. 斯威尼先生,阁下。听说您来公司了。
——>> Just wanted to make sure you were being taken care of. 只是想确保您被招待周到。
——>> Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt. 哦,抱歉。我不是有意打扰。
Gaby: No, no, please, interrupt, whoever you are. 不,不,请务必打扰,不管你是谁。
Geoffrey: Geoffrey Mathers. Senior Account Manager. 杰弗里·马瑟斯。高级客户经理。
——>> I understand you have some concerns about the market. 我了解到您对市场有些担忧。
——>> I do have three or four real-world solutions 我确实有三四个实际的解决方案,
——>> to protect your money in this economy. 可以在当前经济形势下保护您的资金
——>> That is, if you’d like to hear them. 就是说,如果您想听的话。
Frank: Actually, that’s what I came in to talk about today. 其实,这就是我今天来要谈的事。
Gaby: Well, of course it is. 嗯,当然是啊。
——>> I was just getting to it. 我正要说这个呢。
——>> But, uh, seems like Geoffrey here has a handle on things, 但是,呃,看来杰弗里这里已经掌握情况了,
Has a handle on things = To understand a situation well and be able to manage it with control and confidence. (对情况很了解,并且能够稳稳地处理、掌控局面。)
Daily Conversation
Don’t worry about me — I’ve got a handle on things now.
别担心我——我现在已经能很好地掌控情况了。After a week at the new job, she finally felt she had a handle on things.
在新工作上一周后,她终于觉得自己上手了、能应付了。Business Context:
The manager showed the team she had a handle on things by fixing the issue quickly.
经理迅速解决了问题,让团队看到她完全能掌控局面。Once we get the new data, we’ll have a better handle on things and plan the next steps.
一旦拿到新的数据,我们就能更清楚地掌握情况,再制定下一步计划。
——>> so, please, join us, Geoffrey. 所以,请加入我们吧,杰弗里。
Geoffrey: Have a seat, sir. 请坐,先生。
——>> So I noticed you aren’t using derivatives [dɪ’rɪvətɪvz]… 那么我注意到您没有使用衍生品……

Geoffrey: My pleasure, Frank, 我的荣幸,弗兰克,
——>> and I’m serious. 我是认真的。
——>> You call me anytime. 随时打给我。
Gaby: Yeah, Frank, great talking to you. 是啊,弗兰克,聊得很愉快。
——>> Ohh. Thank God you got here. 哦。谢天谢地你来了。
——>> I was 30 seconds away from flashing him a boob. 再有30秒我就要对他露胸了。
Geoffrey: It was nothing. 没什么。
——>> Carlos has done a lot for me over the years. 卡洛斯这些年来为我做了很多。
——>> Is he okay? 他没事吧?
Gaby: Yeah, yeah. He’s just got the flu. 没事,没事。他只是得了流感。
Geoffrey: Really? 真的吗?
——>> ‘Cause he usually comes running 因为他通常
——>> the second Sweeney pops into town, 斯威尼一到城里他就会跑过来,
——>> and I don’t think the flu would keep him away. 我不觉得流感能拦住他。
——>> Mrs. Solis… 索利斯太太……
——>> Your husband has been like a father to me. 您的丈夫对我就像父亲一样。
——>> I really wanna help if I can. 如果可能,我真的很想帮忙。
Gaby: Okay. 好吧。
——>> He’s been going through a rough time, 他最近日子不好过,
——>> and, well, he’s been drinking a lot. 而且,嗯,他酗酒很厉害。
——>> So he’s gonna be staying home for the next week or two, 所以接下来一两周他会待在家里,
——>> trying to pull himself together. 试着振作起来。
Geoffrey: That poor guy. Well, don’t worry. 可怜的家伙。嗯,别担心。
——>> You go home and you take care of him. 您回家照顾他吧。
——>> I’ll take care of things here. 这里的事交给我。
Gaby: Really? – 真的吗?
Geoffrey: Just get him better. – 只要让他好起来。
——>> We need him back. 我们需要他回来。
Gaby: Thank you. 谢谢你。
——>> You’re a good kid. And you know what? 你是个好孩子。你知道吗?
——>> I’m telling Carlos you deserve a raise. 我会告诉卡洛斯该给你加薪。
Geoffrey: Can you tell him when he’s sober? 能等他清醒的时候再说吗?
Gaby: Yeah. Yeah. 好的。好的。



