看美剧《纸牌屋》学英语高频用语及商务口语表达
本场景选自美剧《纸牌屋》第2季第2集,聚焦于中美战略经济对话(SED)期间的一场外交危机。国务卿凯瑟琳·杜兰特(Catherine Durant)在传达指令时出现了偏差,原本只是建议对方提出议程要点,却被误解为“最后通牒”,引发中方强烈反应。
总统**加勒特·沃克(Garrett Walker)**因此陷入两难:是该支持杜兰特,还是切割以平息外交争议?他的两位核心顾问——副总统弗兰克·安德伍德(Frank Underwood)和亿万富翁政商顾问雷蒙德·塔斯克(Raymond Tusk)——则提出了截然不同的意见。

This scene from House of Cards Season 2, Episode 2 revolves around a tense diplomatic misstep during the U.S.–China Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED). Catherine Durant, the Secretary of State, unintentionally triggers an international uproar after her team miscommunicates her instructions to the Chinese delegation — turning what was meant to be a gentle suggestion into an ultimatum.
President Garrett Walker, caught in the crossfire, must decide whether to stand behind Catherine or publicly disavow her actions. His two most trusted advisors, Frank Underwood (then Vice President) and Raymond Tusk (a billionaire power broker and Walker’s longtime confidant), weigh in with conflicting advice.
Garrett: What did you communicate, exactly? 你到底传达了什么样的信息?
Catherine: I told him to bring up the agenda, 我让他提出议程,
——>> suggest bullet points for the SED, but make no demands. 为战略经济对话(Strategic Economic Dialogue)建议要点,但不要提出任何要求。
SED 于 2006 年 由中国和美国共同建立,作为一个高层次的经济事务对话平台。
2009 年,该机制被 升级并更名为“中美战略与经济对话”(S&ED),将经济议题与战略(外交与安全)议题结合在一起。
根据维基百科资料显示,2017 年 6 月,该对话再次被 改名为“全面经济对话”(Comprehensive Economic Dialogue, CED),但在同年 特朗普政府终止了这一机制。
简而言之,原有的“战略经济对话(SED)”机制已经 被终止。
虽然此后中美之间仍存在一些其他形式的双边磋商与工作组机制,但以 “SED” 或 “S&ED” 为名的制度性框架 已不再运作。
The SED was established in 2006 between China and United States to serve as a high-level forum for economic issues.
In 2009 it was upgraded and renamed the U.S.–China Strategic and Economic Dialogue (S&ED), which combined economic and strategic topics.
According to the Wikipedia entry, the S&ED was “renamed the Comprehensive Economic Dialogue in June 2017. The Trump administration terminated the dialogue that year.”
Garrett: And how did that translate into a direct ultimatum? 那怎么会变成一个直接的最后通牒?
Catherine: Well, sometimes my delegates try to read between the lines. 嗯,有时候我的代表们会试图解读弦外之音。
——>> They know that I need plausible deniability for diplomatic purposes. 他们知道出于外交目的,我需要有合理的推诿空间。
Garrett: Why didn’t you immediately recant? 你为什么不立刻收回?
Catherine: In my experience with the Chinese, 根据我与中方打交道的经验,
——>> backpedaling makes us look weak. 出尔反尔会让我们显得软弱。

Backpedaling means to reverse one’s previous position, opinion, or commitment—especially when faced with criticism or unexpected consequences. (在言语或立场上退缩、反悔或改口”,常用于形容某人在遭遇质疑或压力后,不再坚持原来的说法或决定。这个词原本指“自行车向后蹬”,后来引申为“立场倒退”或“言行回缩”。)
🗣 Daily Conversation Examples
When people started questioning his story, he began backpedaling faster than a cyclist on a steep hill.
当人们开始质疑他的说法时,他比骑车下坡的人还快地开始改口。She promised to help me move this weekend, but now she’s backpedaling, saying she might be busy.
她答应这个周末帮我搬家,但现在又在找借口反悔,说自己可能会忙。
💼 Business Examples
After the CEO’s controversial statement, the company started backpedaling and issued a formal apology.
CEO 发表有争议的言论后,公司开始急忙“撤回”立场并发布正式道歉。The client seemed ready to sign the deal yesterday, but today he’s backpedaling, asking for new conditions.
客户昨天看似准备签合同,但今天却开始退缩,提出新的条件。
——>> I had two choices: Lose face or exhibit strength. 我当时有两个选择:丢面子,或者展示力量。
——>> I chose the latter. 我选择了后者。
Garrett: All right, Catherine. I’ll be in touch shortly. 好的,凯瑟琳。我稍后联系你。
Catherine: Thank you, sir. 谢谢您,先生。
Garrett: Get me Raymond on the private line. 给我接雷蒙德的专线。
——>> Do you think she overstepped on purpose? 你觉得她是故意越权的吗?
Frank: Cathy would never disobey your orders. Not on purpose. 凯西绝不会违抗您的命令。不是故意的。
Garrett: Raymond, I’ve got Frank here. 雷蒙德,弗兰克也在线上。
Raymond: Just the three of us? 就我们三个?
Garrett: Just us three. Morning, Raymond. 就我们三个。早上好,雷蒙德。
Raymond: My contacts in Beijing 我在北京的联系人
——>> tell me the minister of commerce is in a tizzy. 告诉我商务部长现在很恼火。
——>> Wants to use this as an excuse to start clenching [klentʃɪŋ] fists. 想借此机会开始攥紧拳头(采取强硬态度=Play hard ball)。
Garrett: Well, either I turn my back on Cathy or I stand behind her. 嗯,我要么背弃凯西,要么支持她。
Raymond: It’s gotta be the former. 必须是前者。
Frank: I agree. 我同意。
——>> If you don’t apologize, 如果您不道歉,
——>> you go from ruffling feathers to plucking them. 那就不是惹怒对方,而是拔光对方的羽毛(彻底激怒)了。
——>> And the Chinese won’t stand for that, Mr. President. 而中方是不会容忍这一点的,总统先生。
Garrett: What about perceived miscommunication between me and my cabinet? 那关于我和内阁之间被认为存在沟通不畅的问题呢?
Frank: Mr. President, right now the goal is to resume the talks. 总统先生,当前的目标是重启会谈。
——>> I wouldn’t worry about perceptions. 我不会担心外界的看法。
Raymond: Frank is right. We need to be pragmatic. 弗兰克说得对。我们需要务实。
——>> Worry about appearances later. 形象问题以后再说。
Garrett: All right. I’ll have Catherine draft an apology. 好吧。我让凯瑟琳起草一份道歉声明。
Raymond: No, it has to come from you, Mr. President. 不,必须由您来发表,总统先生。
——>> If the apology is to mean anything, 如果这份道歉要具有任何意义,
——>> it must come from the White House. 它必须来自白宫。
Frank: That is certainly the more likely to succeed. 这当然更可能成功。
Garrett: Fine. I’ll do it then. Thank you, Raymond. 行。那我照做。谢谢你,雷蒙德。
Raymond: Thank you, Garrett. 谢谢你,加勒特。

Frank: Do you hear how he still uses the president’s given name? 你听到他怎么还直呼总统的名字吗?
——>> And that Walker doesn’t flinch at the lack of respect it implies. 而沃克(总统)对这种意味着缺乏尊重的称呼竟毫不介意 (忌讳)。
Garrett: Sir, forgive me if this isn’t the case, 先生,请原谅我的冒昧(如果情况并非如此),
——>> but you seem a bit hesitant. 但您似乎有点犹豫。
Frank: Why do you say that? 为什么这么说?
Garrett: Well, you’ve raised a good point about public perception. 嗯,您刚才关于公众观感的观点很有道理。
——>> I don’t want you to think that 我不希望您认为
——>> I’m dismissing your concerns casually. 我是在轻率地忽视您的担忧。
Frank: No. It’s a concern for you, too? 不。这也是您所担忧的吗?
Garrett: There is some insight into what Cathy brought up. 凯西提出的观点有一定道理。
——>> Backpedalling is weakness. 出尔反尔就是示弱。
Frank: Well, it’s always a coin toss with the Chinese. 嗯,跟中方打交道总是像抛硬币一样(结果难料)。
——>> But sometimes standing your ground is better than giving in. 但有时坚持立场比让步更好。
——>> They respect you more when you show strength. 当你展现力量时,他们会更尊重你。
Garrett: Are you changing your mind on this, Frank? 你改变主意了吗,弗兰克?
Frank: I just think it’s important that you do what you think is best. 我只是认为,您做自己认为最正确的事很重要。
——>> The American people voted you president. 是美国人民选举您当总统。
——>> Not me. Not Raymond Tusk. 不是我。也不是雷蒙德·塔斯克。
Garrett: I’ll let you know what I decide. 我会告诉你我的决定。
Frank: Thank you, sir. 谢谢您,先生。
本场景展现了白宫内一场关于高风险政治危机的会议。加勒特总统就驻华大使凯瑟琳在贸易谈判中未经授权向中方发出最后通牒一事进行质询,此事已升级为国际事件。场景揭示了加勒特、政治盟友弗兰克与商人雷蒙德·塔斯克之间复杂的权力动态。
This scene depicts a high-stakes political crisis meeting in the White House. President Garrett confronts his ambassador Catherine about her unauthorized ultimatum to China during trade negotiations, which has escalated into an international incident. The scene reveals complex power dynamics between Garrett, his political ally Frank, and influential businessman Raymond Tusk as they debate damage control strategies.
对话不仅揭示了美中外交中的微妙权力博弈,也折射出白宫内部的权力裂痕。弗兰克暗中操纵局势,削弱塔斯克对总统的影响,而沃克的犹豫不决则凸显了其领导力危机。这段对话融合了政治算计、语言策略与心理博弈,是“看美剧学英语”中不可多得的经典桥段,尤其适合学习外交英语表达与策略性沟通。
The conversation reveals not only the delicate balance of U.S.–China diplomacy but also the power struggle inside the White House. Frank subtly manipulates the situation to undermine Tusk’s influence over the President, while Garrett’s indecision exposes the cracks in his leadership. This dialogue showcases the show’s signature blend of political chess, moral ambiguity, and psychological tension — making it a perfect example for English learners interested in diplomatic language and strategic persuasion.



