看美剧纸牌屋学英语:Frank与Thomas Yates精彩对白

以下剪辑选自《纸牌屋》第三季第五集,是本季最关键的人物关系之一——总统 Frank Underwood 与小说家 Thomas Yates 合作关系的开端。Frank 正在推动雄心勃勃的“美国就业计划”,他需要一本书来重新塑造自己的公众形象,把自己从贫困中奋斗崛起的经历包装成一段关于尊严与国家使命的传奇。

但 Thomas Yates 并不是传统的政治写手,而是一位以内省、独特风格著称的小说家。Frank 看中的是 Yates 的“真实声音”——足以替他打造一个更有力量的政治神话。这场对话本质上是一场“招募”,Frank 用的不是意识形态,而是:接近权力的机会、创作空间的承诺,以及“好故事的诱惑”来吸引 Yates。

看美剧纸牌屋学英语:S03E05 Thomas Yates

这一幕也奠定了两人的关系:Frank 是精于包装自己传奇的推销员,而 Yates 是敏感、怀疑却被吸引的观察者,隐约察觉 Frank 身上逻辑不通的矛盾。两人的合作从此展开——建立在好奇、操控,以及“到底是谁在利用谁”的张力之上。

This scene from House of Cards Season 3, Episode 5 marks the beginning of one of the most pivotal relationships of the season: the collaboration between President Frank Underwood and novelist Thomas Yates. Frank is launching his ambitious “America Works” program and needs a writer to craft a book that reshapes his public narrative—transforming his rise from poverty into a story of dignity and national purpose.

Thomas Yates, however, is not a political ghostwriter but an introspective novelist known for his unconventional, emotionally rich work. Frank sees in Yates a voice authentic enough to elevate his political myth. This scene is essentially a recruitment pitch, where Frank tries to seduce Yates—not with ideology, but with access, ego, and the irresistible gravity of a powerful story.

The moment also highlights their dynamic: Frank as a calculating salesman of his own legend, and Yates as a skeptical but curious observer who senses the contradictions in Frank’s persona. Their partnership begins here, built on mutual fascination, manipulation, and the question of who is really using whom.

Frank Underwood: You ever been to the White House before? 你以前来过白宫吗?
Thomas Yates: When I won the National Book Award. Nancy was a fan. 我获得国家图书奖的时候来过,南希是我的粉丝。

In the American political and cultural context, the woman most likely referred to simply as “Nancy” with widespread recognition and close ties to the White House is Nancy Reagan—the wife of the 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan.

Thomas Yates, a literary fiction writer, had his National Book Award-winning work appreciated by Nancy Reagan. This narrative choice is logically consistent within the plot and serves to elevate Thomas’s own status and reputation.

Nancy Regan:美国第40任总统(1981-1989)罗纳德·威尔逊·里根的妻子

在美国政治和文化语境中,被简称为“Nancy”且拥有极高知名度、同时与白宫紧密相关的女性,最有可能的就是南希·里根——美国第40任总统罗纳德·里根的夫人。 托马斯·耶茨是一位严肃文学作家,他获得国家图书奖的作品受到南希·里根的赏识,这在剧情设定上是合理的,也用来抬高托马斯本人的身份和声望。

Frank Underwood: I’m surprised. That story doesn’t exactly revere [rɪ’vɪə(r)] family values. 我很惊讶。那本书并不算是歌颂家庭价值观的故事。

To revere someone or something means to feel deep respect, admiration, or even veneration toward them—often with a sense of honor or moral regard.
It’s stronger than “respect” but softer than “worship.” (对某人或某事怀有深深的敬意、钦佩或尊崇,带有一种尊敬甚至近乎敬仰的意味。它比一般的“respect”更强,但还不至于到“worship”(崇拜)的程度。)
“That story of the book doesn’t exactly revere family values.” = The story does not honor, celebrate, or uphold family values.

Thomas Yates: She’s got the astrologer [ə’strɒlədʒə(r)] in her. I think she liked the title more than anything. 她有点占星师的气质。我想她最喜欢的是书名。

Astronomer [ə’strɒnəmə(r)](天文学家);Astronaut [‘æstrənɔːt] (宇航员、航天员);Astronavigation [æstrənævɪ’ɡeɪʃn](太空航行)……

Someone’s got * in him/her:it means someone naturally has the qualities, instincts, temperament, or tendencies of a particular role, profession, or personality type — even if they are not formally trained in it. It highlights an innate flair, a built-in talent, or a natural inclination. (某人天生就具备某种角色或职业的特质、直觉或性格倾向,即使他/她并未真的受过专业训练。这个表达强调一种与生俱来的本能、天赋或气质。)

在你的例子中,“she’s got the astrologer in her” 的意思是:她天生就像个占星师,思考方式、说话风格或直觉模式都带着占星师的味道。(It means she naturally thinks, talks, or behaves like an astrologer — interpreting signs, reading people through zodiac-style logic, or having intuitive mystical [‘mɪstɪkl] instincts.)

  • You can tell she’s got the storyteller in her; every chat turns into a mini drama.
    她身上自带讲故事的天分,每次聊天都能说成一场小戏。

  • Don’t worry about the recipe — he’s got the chef in him, so he’ll make it work.
    别担心菜谱,他天生有点厨师的本事,所以肯定做得出来。

  • Give her the negotiation task; she’s got the deal-maker in her.
    把谈判任务交给她吧,她天生有做交易的本事

  • He’s new to the team, but he’s got the analyst in him — his breakdowns are sharp and concise.
    他虽然是新来的,但天生带着分析师的底子——他的分析既犀利又简洁。

Frank Underwood: Scorpio [‘skɔːpiəʊ] was a very good book. 《天蝎》是本好书。
Thomas Yates: Still pays the rent. 还在帮我付房租呢。
Frank Underwood: Have a seat. 坐吧。
Thomas Yates: Why am I here, Mr. President? 我为什么在这儿,总统先生?
Frank Underwood: Remy briefed you. 雷米和你说过了。
Thomas Yates: He said you needed a book. He didn’t say about what. 他说你需要一本书,但没说内容是什么。
Frank Underwood: America Works. 美国就业计划。
——>> Not just the policy, but the origins. 不只是政策本身,还有它的起源。
——>> How a boy grew up in a dirt-poor shithole and climbed his way out (近义表达:elbow one’s way up) through hard work. 一个男孩如何在肮脏贫穷的地方长大,通过努力工作走出来。
——>> A story of dignity. The pride that comes with one’s labor. 一个关于尊严的故事,和劳动带来的自豪感。
Thomas Yates: Propaganda [ˌprɒpə’ɡændə]. 宣传。
Frank Underwood: You could call it that. 你可以这么说。
Thomas Yates: This sort of thing… it’s not in my wheelhouse. 这种事……不是我的专长。
——>> You need a salesman, not a novelist. 你需要的是个推销员,而不是小说家。
Frank Underwood: (quoting Yates’s review): “Whoever you are, whoever you think you are, 无论你是谁,无论你自认为是谁,
——>> believe that you’re also a silent princess. 相信你也是一个沉默的公主。
——>> Your name is Ida. 你的名字是艾达。
——>> Your journey is one through a forgotten landscape 你的旅程将穿越一片被遗忘的土地
——>> of twisting staircases and morphing [‘mɔːfɪŋ] castles, 穿过扭曲的阶梯和不断变化的城堡,
——>> atop floating stones defiantly [dɪ’faɪəntli] crossing an angry sea, 踏着漂浮的石头,挑战愤怒的海洋,
——>> within dimly-lit caverns cobwebbed [‘kɒbwebd] with ruins 在昏暗的洞穴中,废墟被蛛网覆盖,
——>> M.C. Escher could only grasp at in a dream state.” 这些景象连埃舍尔也只能在梦中捕捉。”

Maurits Cornelis Escher:莫里茨·科内利斯·埃舍尔

莫里茨·科内利斯·埃舍尔(Maurits Cornelis Escher,1898年6月17日-1972年3月27日),荷兰版画家,以木版、铜版、石版及素描为主要创作形式,作品融合分形、对称、密铺平面、双曲几何等数学概念 。代表作《白天和黑夜》《瀑布》《相对性》等通过形状渐变、光学幻觉构建矛盾空间,其理念影响《盗梦空间》、《哈利波特》、《纪念碑谷》等影视游戏作品。

Thomas Yates: You read my video game reviews? 你看我的电子游戏评论?
Frank Underwood: I tend to play shoot-’em-ups. 我通常玩射击类游戏
——>> The indie games don’t really interest me. 独立游戏并不怎么吸引我。
——>> I need adrenaline [ə’drenəlɪn] and action. 我需要肾上腺素和动作场面。
——>> But when I read this, I had to try it. 但当我读到这段时,我必须试一试。
——>> If you can convince me to be a silent princess with just a hundred words, 如果你能用短短一百字说服我成为一个沉默的公主,
——>> imagine how many millions you can convince with this book. 想象一下你能用这本书说服多少人。
——>> You are a salesman, Thomas. 你就是个推销员,托马斯。
Thomas Yates: I wasn’t trying to sell anything. Just describe my experience. 我并不是想推销什么,只是在描述我的经历。
Frank Underwood: That’s exactly what I want you to do with my story. 这正是我想让你用我的故事做的事。
——>> No sales pitch, just your honest curiosity. 不要推销,只要你真诚的好奇心。
——>> Besides, these kinds of books are always so boring, so safe. 再说,这类书总是很无聊,很安全。
——>> I want something different, something… unique. 我想要一些不同的东西,一些……独特的东西。
——>> Your voice. 你的声音。
Thomas Yates: I don’t even know if I believe in your program. 我甚至不知道自己是否相信你的项目。
Frank Underwood: Come with me. 跟我来。
——>> I want to show you something. 我想给你看点东西。
——>> Have a look. 看看吧。
Frank Underwood: Do you see that line of people? 你看到那排人了吗?
Thomas Yates: The AmWorks tent. 美国就业计划的帐篷。
Frank Underwood: It stretches from there all the way to the Lincoln Memorial. 从那里一直排到林肯纪念堂
——>> They started lining up before sunrise. 他们天没亮就开始排队。
Thomas Yates: It’s really something. 真是壮观。
Frank Underwood: Thomas, at best, I’m going to be a footnote in history if I can’t help those people. 托马斯,如果我不能帮这些人,我在历史上顶多是个脚注
——>> At worst, I’ll be a joke. 最糟糕的情况下,我会沦为笑柄。
——>> I am those people. 我就是他们中的一员。
——>> I want you to tell that story. 我想让你讲那个故事。
——>> What do you say? 你觉得呢?
Thomas Yates: I don’t know. 我不知道。
Frank Underwood: What’s your gut say? 你的直觉怎么说
Thomas Yates: That you don’t add up, and I’m intrigued. 你有些说不通,但我很感兴趣。

Add up:This idiom means that the facts, details, or explanations of a situation are inconsistent, illogical, or do not make sense when considered together. (某个情况的事实、细节或解释不一致、不符合逻辑,或者放在一起讲不通。它让人怀疑有错误、遗漏或故意隐瞒。它暗示”各部分的总和”无法得出一个合乎逻辑或真实的结论。)

Daily Conversation:

  1. Suspicious Story: “His story about where he was last night doesn’t add up; he said he was at the movies, but the theater was closed for renovations.”
    (他关于昨晚去向的说辞对不上;他说他去看电影了,但那家电影院当时在停业装修。)

  2. Financial Discrepancy: “I’ve checked my budget twice, but the numbers just don’t add up. I’m sure I’m missing an expense somewhere.”
    (我查了两遍我的预算,但数字就是不对劲。我肯定漏掉了某项开销。)

Business Context:

  1. Shady Business Deal: “The profit margins they’re promising don’t add up based on the market data we’ve seen. I think we need to investigate this further.”
    (根据我们看到的市场数据,他们承诺的利润率根本不合逻辑。我认为我们需要进一步调查。)

  2. Project Reporting: “Her weekly progress report says the coding is 90% complete, but the testing team hasn’t received any modules yet. Something doesn’t add up.”
    (她的每周进度报告说编码已完成90%,但测试团队还没有收到任何模块。这有点矛盾。)

Frank Underwood: But not sold. 但还没被说服。
Thomas Yates: Not yet. 还没有。
Frank Underwood: Well, I’ll pay you well, and at the very least, this sort of access is worth its weight in gold, isn’t it? 好吧,我会给你丰厚的报酬,而且至少,这样的机会可是价值连城,不是吗?
Edward Meechum: Sir, the First Lady’s back. 先生,第一夫人回来了。
Frank Underwood: I have to go give my Fourth of July speech before the fireworks. 我得在烟火前发表国庆演讲。
Thomas Yates: How quickly would you need the book? 你多快需要这本书?
Frank Underwood: By January. 一月之前。
Thomas Yates: I’ve never written anything in less than a year. 我从没在一年内完成过一本书。
Frank Underwood: Well, you don’t strike me as someone who shies away from a challenge. 嗯,我觉得你不像是逃避挑战的人。

Someone/sth strikes someone as… to describe the immediate, subjective impression or feeling that someone or something creates. (这个短语用于描述某人或某物所造成的直接的、主观的印象或感觉。它回答了这个问题:”根据你的第一印象,你觉得这个人/事物怎么样?” 它后面接一个形容词(例如:奇怪的,聪明的)或一个名词短语(例如:一个诚实的人)来描述那个最初的判断。)

Daily Conversation:

  1. First Impression: “He strikes me as a very genuine person, which is why I trust him.”
    (他给我的印象是一个非常真诚的人,这就是我信任他的原因。)

  2. Expressing Doubt: “It struck her as odd that her neighbor’s lights were on all night, as they were supposed to be on vacation.”
    (她觉得很奇怪,她邻居家的灯亮了一整夜,因为他们按理说应该在度假。)

Business Context:

  1. Assessing a Proposal: “The new marketing strategy strikes me as being somewhat risky, but it could also have a high reward.”
    (这项新的营销策略让我觉得有些冒险,但也可能带来高回报。)

  2. Evaluating a Candidate: “The job applicant struck the panel as being highly competent, but also a bit arrogant during the interview.”
    (这位求职者让评审团觉得他能力很强,但在面试中也有点傲慢。)

Thomas Yates: I’d need to be able to write it the way I want to write it. 我需要能按我想要的方式来写。
Frank Underwood: Absolutely. 当然。
——>> Look, take your time. 慢慢来。
——>> Enjoy the view. 欣赏一下风景。
——>> Meechum will show you out when you’re done. 你结束时米查姆会送你出去。
——>> And I promise, if you say yes, you won’t regret it. 我保证,如果你答应,你不会后悔。
Frank Underwood: No writer worth his salt can resist a good story, just as no politician can resist making promises he can’t keep. 任何一个真正的作家都无法抗拒一个好故事,就像任何政治家都无法抗拒做出他无法兑现的承诺一样。

Worth one’s salt:it means to be competent, capable, and deserving of one’s pay or position. It implies that a person is efficient, useful, and provides value that justifies their cost or the trust placed in them. (有能力的、能胜任的,并且配得上自己的薪水或职位。它暗示一个人效率高、有用,并能提供与其成本或所受信任相称的价值。)

Daily Conversation:

  1. Praising Competence: “Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to fix a simple oil leak.”
    (任何一个称职的机械师都应该能修好简单的漏油问题。)

  2. Expressing Expectation: “A gardener worth her salt would know not to water the plants in the midday sun.”
    (一个合格的园丁会知道不能在正午阳光下给植物浇水。)

Business Context:

  1. Evaluating Employees: “We need a sales director who is worth her salt—someone who can not only meet but exceed our targets.”
    (我们需要一位有能力、名副其实的销售总监——她不仅要能完成目标,更要能超越目标。)

  2. Assessing Services: “Any consultant worth his salt would have identified this financial risk long before it became a crisis.”
    (任何有真本事的顾问早在这场风险演变成危机之前就应该识别出它了。)


看美剧纸牌屋学英语:S03E05 Frank Underwood

【English Analysis: Rhetoric & Negotiation Techniques】 | 【中文分析:修辞与谈判技巧】

The conversation between Frank Underwood and Thomas Yates is a masterclass in subtle persuasion. Frank uses rhetoric, psychological framing, and narrative manipulation to recruit Yates. | Frank 与 Yates 的对话是一堂“隐性说服术”示范课。Frank 通过修辞、心理引导与叙事操控层层推进。


1. Ethos: Borrowing Yates’s own authority | 权威借用(Ethos):利用 Yates 的专业权威

Frank quotes Yates’s game review verbatim [vɜː’beɪtɪm], showing he’s done research, respects Yates, and understands his voice. This builds trust while positioning Frank as a discerning reader. | Frank 精准引用 Yates 的游戏评论,显示他做了功课、尊重对方、理解其风格。这既是高级恭维,也建立可信度。


2. Reframing: Turning Yates into a “salesman” | 重新定义:把 Yates 从作家变成“天生说服者”

Frank reframes the job:
“If you can convince me with 100 words… imagine millions.”
He shifts the task from propaganda to creativity, lowering resistance.

Frank 重塑任务:“你能用百字说服我,就能说服百万读者。” 他把“宣传”变成“创作”,大幅降低心理防御。


3. Narrative Seduction: Story to hook a storyteller | 叙事诱惑:用故事吸引讲故事的人

Frank frames his life as a mythic arc—poverty → labor → dignity.  Frank 把政治工程讲成“神话式叙事”:贫穷 → 奋斗 → 尊严。
He knows writers respond to archetypes [‘ɑːkɪtaɪps] more than policy. 他知道作家对故事结构比对政策更敏感。


4. Scarcity & Access Play | 稀缺 + 特权访问

Frank emphasizes exclusive White House access:
“Worth its weight in gold.”
He sells the opportunity, not the task.

Frank 强调白宫访问的稀缺性:“这种进入权价值连城。” 他卖的是机会,而不是任务本身。


5. Vulnerability as persuasion | 用脆弱换取同情(战略性脆弱)

Frank: “I may be a footnote… or a joke.”
This vulnerability: humanizes him, raises moral stakes, and makes Yates feel the work helps the people, not Frank.

Frank:“我可能只是脚注,甚至笑柄。” 这种脆弱让他更人性、让任务更像道义责任,让 Yates 感到是“帮人民”而不是“帮 Frank 洗白”。


6. Reading Yates’s psychology | 抓住 Yates 的心理性格

Frank senses curiosity:
“What does your gut say?”
Yates: “You don’t add up… I’m intrigued.”
Skepticism becomes engagement.

Frank 觉察 Yates 的反叛与好奇:“直觉怎么说?” “你有些对不上逻辑……但我好奇。” (怀疑被巧妙转化为兴趣)


7. Leaving the Ask Open (Soft Close) | 软性收尾(Soft Close)

“Take your time. Enjoy the view.”
“If you say yes, you won’t regret it.”
A soft-close avoids pressure and lets Yates convince himself.

“慢慢来,欣赏风景。” “如果你答应,你不会后悔。” (软性收尾不施压,让 Yates 自己得出“我愿意”的结论)

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

本站所有资源版权均属于原作者所有,这里所提供资源均只能用于参考学习用,请勿直接商用。若由于商用引起版权纠纷,一切责任均由使用者承担。更多说明请参考 VIP介绍。

最常见的情况是下载不完整: 可对比下载完压缩包的与网盘上的容量,若小于网盘提示的容量则是这个原因。这是浏览器下载的bug,建议用百度网盘软件或迅雷下载。 若排除这种情况,可在对应资源底部留言,或联络我们。

对于会员专享、私藏软件、高频短语、句型结构、修辞应用等类型的素材,文章内用于介绍的图片通常并不包含在对应可供下载素材包内。这些相关商业图片需另外购买,且本站不负责(也没有办法)找到出处。 同样地一些字体文件也是这种情况,但部分素材会在素材包内有一份字体下载链接清单。

如果您已经成功付款但是网站没有弹出成功提示,请联系站长提供付款信息为您处理

源码素材属于虚拟商品,具有可复制性,可传播性,一旦授予,不接受任何形式的退款、换货要求。请您在购买获取之前确认好 是您所需要的资源