看美剧学英语高频短语:Set one’s sight on someone or sth
Set one’s sight on someone or sth:it means to determine to achieve or obtain someone or something; to focus one’s ambitions and efforts on a specific target. It implies strong determination, clear goal-setting, and a commitment to pursuing that objective. (这个习语的意思是决心实现或获得某人或某物;将个人的雄心和努力聚焦于一个特定的目标。它暗示着坚定的决心、清晰的目标设定以及对该目标的执着追求。)

词条来源:The phrase originates from military and hunting terminology. “Setting the sights” on a rifle or other weapon refers to adjusting the aiming device to target a specific object accurately. By the late 19th century, this literal meaning was metaphorically extended to focusing one’s ambitions or efforts on any desired goal, much like aiming a weapon at a target. (该短语源于军事和狩猎术语。”Setting the sights”(设定瞄准器)在步枪或其他武器上指的是调整瞄准装置以精确对准特定目标。到了19世纪末,这一字面意义被隐喻扩展到将个人的雄心或努力聚焦于任何期望实现的目标上,就如同用武器瞄准目标一样。)
场景一:选自美剧《绝望的主妇》S02E15 (Lucia与Carlos)
卡洛斯为了妻子盖比,请求岳母露西亚为他们代孕。谈话中,卡洛斯揭露了深埋多年的家庭创伤:盖比在15岁时曾被露西亚的第二任丈夫亚历杭德罗性侵。然而,露西亚的回应令人震惊——她反咬一口,声称是女儿盖比出于嫉妒勾引了她的丈夫。最讽刺的是,露西亚一边怀着这样的想法,一边却提出要为盖比代孕,将一场本可和解的谈话变成了对受害者的二次伤害。
Carlos thinks he’s helping his wife Gaby by asking her mother Lucia to be their surrogate. But wait until you hear Lucia’s version of events! When Carlos reveals that Gaby was assaulted by Lucia’s husband at age 15, watch how Lucia spins the story, claiming her daughter seduced him instead. The tension builds as we discover: this woman offered to carry her daughter’s baby while secretly blaming her for the trauma! This is advanced emotional manipulation – perfect for learning how native speakers use implication and denial in serious conversations.
Lucia: Carlos, Carlos, 卡洛斯,卡洛斯
——>> what a surprise.Come on in. 真是惊喜。快请进。
Carlos: I thought you could use your bags. 我想你可能需要你的行李。
Lucia: Oh, yes.The perfect timing. 哦,是的。时间正好。
——>> I just took a shower and needed something to change into. 我刚洗完澡,正需要换洗衣服。
——>> Here, leave it here.This is fine. Thank you. 放这儿,放这儿就好。谢谢。
Carlos: Listen,do you have a minute? 听着,你有空吗?
——>> because I need to talk to you about something. 因为我需要跟你谈点事。
Lucia: Hmm,yeah,sure. Sit down. 嗯,好的,当然。坐吧。
——>> Talk as I dress. 我穿衣服的时候你说吧。
——>> I’ll leave the door open so I can hear. 我把门开着,这样我能听见。
Carlos: Look,I was,uh, 你看,我,呃,
——>> I was thinking about your surrogacy [‘sʌrəɡəsi] idea. 我考虑了你那个代孕的主意。
——>> And I think it could be the answer to all of our problems. That is, if you’re still interested. 我觉得这可能是解决我们所有问题的办法。当然,前提是你还有兴趣。
Lucia: I am. 我有。
Carlos: Yes! I mean,uh, 太好了!我是说,呃,
——>> but I-I just think that gaby will never let it happen. 但我觉得——我觉得盖比绝不会让这事成真。
Lucia: No,no. No,she can be convinced. I know it. 不,不。不,能说服她的。我知道。
——>> Can you please,uh, zip me up? 你能,呃,帮我拉上拉链吗?
——>> My zipper! It’s stuck. 我的拉链!卡住了。
Carlia: You did that so fast. 你动作真快。
Lucia: I know someone who works out. 我认识一个常健身的人。
——>> As I was saying, 就像我刚才说的,
——>> I think the surrogacy idea could work. 我觉得代孕的主意可行。
——>> but you and gaby are gonna have to mend some fences. 但你和盖比必须得修复一下关系。
——>> After such a long time,what is the point? 过了这么久,还有什么意义?
Carlos: Lucia, please, hear me out. 露西亚,拜托,听我说完。
——>> There was a lot of stuff that Gaby went through when she was younger– 盖比年轻时经历了很多事——
——>> a lot of stuff that you don’t know about. 很多你都不知道的事。
——>> And I think that if you went to her and asked her about it, 我觉得如果你去找她,问问她那些事,
——>> then the two of you could finally get past it. 你们俩最终或许就能放下过去。
Lucia:What stuff are you talking about,Carlos? 你在说什么事,卡洛斯?
Carlos: Your second husband, Alejandro? 你的第二任丈夫,亚历杭德罗?
——>> When gaby was 15, he assaulted her sexually. 盖比15岁时,他性侵了她。(Molestation [ˌmɒle’steɪʃn] )
Lucia: Is that what she told you? 她是这么跟你说的?
——>> Look, 听着,
——>> I know that it comes as a shock for you to be hearing it from me– 我知道从我这里听到这些让你很震惊——
Lucia: Carlos, please,I am aware they had sex. 卡洛斯,拜托,我知道他们上过床。
——>> But it was Gabriela who seduced him. 但那是加布丽埃拉勾引了他。
Carlos: Excuse me? 你说什么?
Lucia: She was always jealous of me. 她总是嫉妒我。
——>> You don’t know how many times I caught her wearing my shoes, 你不知道我逮到过多少次她穿我的鞋,
——>> trying on my jewelry… 试戴我的珠宝……
——>> and I’d scream at her to leave my things alone, but no, 我会冲她尖叫让她别碰我的东西,但没用,
——>> she wanted whatever I had. Believe me, 我有什么她就想要什么。相信我,
——>> Then one night, 然后有一天晚上,
——>> she set her sights on Alejandro. 她把目标对准了亚历杭德罗。
——>> no one got raped. 没有人被强奸。
Carlos: Lucia, she was only 15 years old. 露西亚,她当时才15岁。
Lucia: You know, a lot of men have left me over the years, 你知道吗,这些年来很多男人离开了我,
——>> and I never knew the reason. 我从来不知道原因。
——>> But when Alejandro left, I knew exactly why it happened. 但当亚历杭德罗离开时,我清楚地知道是为什么。
——>> Gabriela made him fall in love with her. 加布丽埃拉让他爱上了她。
——>> Oh, it took me so many years to forgive her. 哦,我花了好多年才原谅她。
Carlos: -You forgave her? 你原谅了她?
Lucia: – But of course. 当然。
——>> I couldn’t have offered to carry her baby unless I had. 否则我也不可能提出为她代孕。
场景二:选自美剧《亿万》S05E11 13:28
温蒂与查克,这对权势夫妻的婚姻走到了尽头。温迪按照离婚协议,亲自将2500万美元的支票交给查克。这并非一次简单的财务交割,而是一场精心设计的最终心理博弈。查克坚持要现金,旨在用这种极具仪式感的方式羞辱温蒂,并观察她的反应。温蒂坦言内心只有“悲伤”,而查克则尖锐地反问,探究她是否仍会为金钱而兴奋。
Wendy hands Chuck a staggering $25 million in their divorce settlement – but this isn’t about money. It’s about POWER! Watch how Chuck makes her physically hand him the check, studying her reaction. When Wendy says she feels “just sadness,” Chuck fires back with the question that defines their entire relationship: “So you still get a rush from the money alone?” This is master-level business English meets psychological warfare – perfect for understanding how high-stakes negotiators really speak!
Wendy: We really didn’t have to do it like this. 我们真的不必这样做的。
——>> I would have wired it. 我本可以电汇的。
Chuck: Sometimes auspicious [ɔː’spɪʃəs] beginnings and auspicious endings need to be done in person. 有时,吉利的开始和吉利的结束需要亲自完成。
Wendy: You wanted me to have to hand you 25 million. 你就是想让我亲手把这2500万交给你。
——>> Like this. 像这样。
——>> I guess I just wanted to see what it would be like 我想我只是想看看一次性拿着这么多钱
——>> to hold this much at once. 会是什么感觉。
——>> Perhaps see if anything rushed through me. 或许看看会不会有什么感觉涌上心头。
——>> But, uh… 但是,呃……
——>> No, 没有,
——>> just sadness. 只有悲伤。
——>> And a cold certainty that none of this ever had to happen. 以及一种冰冷的确定:这一切本都不必发生。
Chuck: There we agree. 这点我们同意。
——>> So you still get a rush from the money alone? 所以光是钱还能让你兴奋吗?
Wendy: Don’t ask me those ki… 别问我那种问……
——>> I’m gonna head out. 我要走了。
Chuck: And like that, lines are drawn. 就这样,界限划下了。
——>> No, tattooed, permanently. 不,是像纹身一样,永久的。
——>> Some of your money to me. 你的一部分钱归我。
——>> The rest of you to him. 剩下的你归他。
——>> Congratulations, then, are in order, to you. 那么,该恭喜你了。
——>> For orchestrating it all. 因为你策划了这一切。
——>> Since the moment you set your sights on Axe five years ago, 从你把目标对准Axe的五年前起,
——>> you have orchestrated a perfect plan 你就策划了一个完美的计划
——>> to impel us together, which makes no sense. 来促使我们在一起,这毫无道理。
——>> Unless someone knows you, which I have. 除非有人了解你,而我了解。
——>> Goodbye. 再见。
场景三:选自美剧《亿万》S05E03 38:55
对冲基金大王艾克斯的儿子在学校惹上大麻烦,面临被开除的风险。向来能搞定一切的他,在如何教育孩子的问题上陷入了困境。他求助於公司的“绩效教练”温蒂。温蒂没有给出直接答案,而是像分析市场风险一样,为他推演了两种教育策略(放任不管 vs. 强势干预)可能导致的每一种连锁反应,最终将抉择的难题抛回给艾克斯自己。
Axe isn’t just battling hedge funds – he’s trying to save his son from being expelled! Watch as Wendy walks him through every parent’s nightmare with the precision of a military strategist. She presents two options: let his son face consequences or intervene like a billionaire. The term “set his sights on” becomes crucial here – when a 14-year-old aims for Harvard, failure isn’t an option. This is executive-level decision making in action – incredible for learning business vocabulary in emotional contexts!
Axe: Hey, I have what I need to take this Headmaster out. 嘿,我有办法搞定那个校长了。
——>> Do I fix this for him? 我要为他摆平这事吗?
——>> How do I not fuck my kid up more? 我怎样才能不把我孩子毁得更糟?
Wendy: That’s the question 这就是问题
——>> every decent parent asks every day. 每个称职的父母每天都在问的问题。
——>> Let’s say you take the laissez-faire [ˌleseɪ’feə(r)] approach, 假设你采取自由放任的方式,
——>> let the market have its way with Gordie. 让市场(规则)在戈尔迪身上自行其是。
——>> He learns there are consequences. 他学到了要承担后果。
——>> Gets suspended, probably expelled. 被停学,很可能被开除。
——>> Ends up at a lower-tier prep school 最终去个低一档的预科学校
——>> or New York Military Academy. 或者纽约军事学院。
——>> Goes to Colby instead of Harvard. 去科尔比学院而不是哈佛。
——>> There’s– There’s no shame in that… 这——这并不丢人……
——>> I mean, unless for the kid 我是说,除非对这个
——>> who’s going mini-Winklevoss at 14– 14岁就想当小温克莱沃斯(志向远大)的孩子来说——

温克莱沃斯兄弟核心身份标签:
-
奥运健将:2008年北京奥运会美国男子双人单桨赛艇运动员。
-
“Facebook之战”的主角:声称马克·扎克伯格窃取了他们创建社交网络的创意。
-
成功的加密货币投资者:最早的比特币巨鲸之一,创立了加密货币交易所Gemini。
-
亿万富翁:通过投资比特币积累了巨额财富。
温克莱沃斯兄弟传奇经历三部曲:
第一幕:哈佛精英与“哈佛联谊会”的创意
背景:兄弟二人出生于精英家庭,身高超过2米,是完美的学生形象——学习优异(哈佛大学教育背景)、体育出众(顶级赛艇运动员)。
创意起源:2002年,在哈佛读书期间,他们与同学迪夫亚·纳伦德拉一起构思了一个名为 “HarvardConnection”(后更名为“ConnectU”)的社交网站。这个网站旨在建立一个专属于哈佛学生的、真实身份的社交网络。
关键转折:他们雇佣了当时一位名叫马克·扎克伯格 的哈佛学生来为这个网站编写代码。他们声称,在合作期间,扎克伯格故意拖延他们的项目,同时暗中窃取他们的创意,秘密开发了自己的社交网站——TheFacebook。
第二幕:与扎克伯格的“世纪官司”与成名
对簿公堂:2004年,Facebook上线后迅速走红,温克莱沃斯兄弟和纳伦德拉以窃取商业机密、侵犯知识产权等罪名起诉了扎克伯格。
和解协议:这场漫长的法律诉讼最终在2008年以和解告终。据报道,他们获得了6500万美元的赔偿(其中包含2000万美元现金和4500万美元的Facebook股票)。
公众形象:这场官司让他们在全球范围内闻名。他们被媒体塑造成被“技术宅”背叛的“高富帅”,而他们的故事也被改编进大卫·芬奇执导的电影《社交网络》(2010年),在片中他们是与主角扎克伯格对立的“温克莱沃斯兄弟”,形象深入人心。
关键知识点:在《亿万》的台词中,Wendy说“a kid who’s going mini-Winklevoss at 14”,正是在比喻一个在小小年纪就志向极其远大、野心勃勃的孩子,就像温克莱沃斯兄弟当年在哈佛一样,瞄准了宏大的目标。
第三幕:最华丽的转身——成为“加密货币之王”
如果故事止步于获得赔偿,那他们只是幸运的“受害者”。但真正让他们封神的是接下来的操作:
慧眼识比特币:在2013年,他们用从Facebook和解案中获得的1100万美元,大量购入比特币。当时比特币的价格约为120美元/枚。他们成为了世界上最早的比特币亿万富翁之一,据估计他们持有约1% 的比特币总供应量,是名副其实的“比特币巨鲸”。
创立Gemini交易所:2015年,他们创立了加密货币交易所Gemini(双子星,呼应他们的双胞胎身份)。Gemini以严格的合规性和机构级别的安全性著称,旨在建立一个“受监管的、可信赖的”加密货币交易平台,这与当时鱼龙混杂的行业环境形成鲜明对比。
推动比特币ETF:他们是推动美国证券交易委员会批准比特币现货ETF的核心人物之一。经过多年努力,美国SEC终于在2024年初批准了包括Gemini在内的多家机构的比特币现货ETF申请,这被广泛认为是加密货币被主流金融体系接纳的里程碑事件。
——>> it’s what he set his sights on. 那是他锁定的目标。
——>> Then it’s crushing. 那这就是毁灭性的。
——>> And maybe he blames you for the consequence. 也许他会为这后果责怪你。
——>> And that chip on his shoulder 他心中的那股怨气
——>> turns into a drinking problem by the time he’s 28. 到他28岁时会变成酗酒问题。
——>> Or he blames himself, 或者他责怪自己,
——>> accepts the consequences, 接受了后果,
——>> self-worth gets dinged up pretty good– 自我价值感严重受损——
Describing a Used Item: “I lent my phone to my toddler for five minutes, and now it’s all dinged up.”
(我把手机拿给我家小孩玩了五分钟,现在它已经磕得到处是痕了。)Talking About a Car: “After ten years of city driving, the bumper is pretty dinged up from tight parking spots.”
(在城市里开了十年车,保险杠因为在狭窄车位停车已经撞得坑坑洼洼了。)Business Context:
Product Returns: “The customer returned the laptop, saying it was defective, but it just looks dinged up from normal use.”
(客户退回笔记本电脑,说它有缺陷,但它看起来只是正常使用造成的磨损。)Asset Depreciation: “All the rental equipment gets dinged up over time; we just need to make sure it remains safe and functional.”
(所有租赁设备随着时间的推移都会有些磕碰磨损;我们只需要确保它们仍然安全可用。)
——>> And winds up with a drinking problem by the time he’s 28. 然后到他28岁时还是落得个酗酒问题。
——>> And then there’s you– 然后还有你——
——>> can you stay the course— with whatever you decide? 无论你决定怎么做——你能坚持到底吗?
——>> Because if you dive in after him only sometimes, 因为如果你只是偶尔介入帮他,
——>> he won’t know how or when to swim, or breathe, or trust. 他就不会知道如何或何时该自己游泳、呼吸或信任。
——>> It’s got to be tough love all the way– 必须始终如一地严厉关爱——
——>> which could work out great, 这可能效果很好,
——>> he could turn out great– 他可能变得很棒——
——>> or the interventionist approach forevermore. 要么就永远采取干预主义的方法。
——>> So the question is, 所以问题是,
——>> do I have the stomach to let him dangle [‘dæŋɡl] ? 我有没有这个狠心让他自己悬着(承受后果)?
场景四:选自美剧《亿万》S03E08
查克·罗兹志在竞选州长,但他意识到,一旦他的政治同僚——一位资深法官劝他不要离任,否则其在司法系统的“保护伞”将消失,政敌会轻易将他埋葬。于是,他上门恳求Chuck放弃个人前程,留任原职来保护他。与此同时,他的妻子温蒂敏锐地指出,查克真正热爱的并非政治,而是作为检察官“惩奸除恶”的权力感和掌控力,竞选州长对他而言更像是一个义务而非激情所在。
Chuck Rhoades at his most vulnerable! He begs a powerful judge to abandon his own political ambitions to protect Chuck’s career. The judge’s home becomes a tense negotiation room where every word carries weight. When Chuck says “I’ve set my sights on governor,” he’s not just stating a goal – he’s declaring war on anyone in his way. Wendy’s analysis of his true passion versus obligation is some of the most brilliant career advice you’ll ever hear! This is political English at its finest – perfect for ambitious professionals!
Chuck: Judge. 法官大人。
——>> Wonderful to see you. 见到您真好。
Judge: Last time I was here… pretty momentous [mə’mentəs]. 上次我在这里……意义重大。
Chuck: I thought we were never to talk of it. 我以为我们绝不会再提那事了。
Judge: We’re gonna talk about everything. 我们要把所有事都摊开说。
Chuck: Where are we starting? 我们从哪里开始?
Judge:With bracing honesty. 从坦诚开始。
——>> Because with all that’s passed between us. 鉴于我们之间发生的所有事。
——>> I see no reason to beat about the bush. 我认为没有理由拐弯抹角。
Chuck: Begin. 开始吧。
Judge: Right here, in this house, 就是在这里,在这栋房子里,
——>> you put me on a path that leads to the Supreme Court. 您将我送上了一条通往最高法院的道路。
Chuck: Well, it’s not exactly a straight and easy one. 嗯,这并非一条笔直平坦的路。
——>> There’s turns and twists 有曲折迂回,(ebb and flows)
——>> and highwaymen hiding in the bushes 有躲在灌木丛中的拦路强盗
——>> who might jump you at any time. 随时可能跳出来袭击你。
Judge: I agree. The path is treacherous [‘tretʃərəs] . 我同意。这条路危机四伏。
——>> Which is why I need you to guide me. 这就是为什么我需要您指引我。
Chuck: As I have and will continue to do. 如同我一直以来并将继续做的那样。
Judge: From your current perch [pɜːtʃ], yes. 以您目前的职位,是的。
作为名词: 指某人或某物休息、就坐或被放置的一个高处或位置。这可以是字面意义上的(如鸟的栖木),也可以是隐喻性的(如高级职位)。
“After the successful IPO, the startup found itself on a comfortable financial perch.”
(成功进行首次公开募股后,这家初创公司处于一个舒适的财务位置上。)
“Winning the award put the young director on a high perch in the film industry.”
(获奖让这位年轻导演在电影界占据了很高的地位。)
——>> But if you leave office, to go after another, 但如果您离任,去谋求另一个职位,
——>> my flank is unprotected. 我的侧翼就无人保护了。
Chuck: I will give you all the support 我会在奥尔巴尼给予你
——>> and assistance you need from Albany. 所有你需要的支持和帮助。
Judge: Not good enough, I’m afraid. 恐怕这不够好。
Chuck: I see. 我明白了。
Judge: I’m here to ask you to honor your promise to me: 我此来是请求您履行您对我的承诺:
——>> that there was no favor you’d refuse. 您不会拒绝任何帮忙。
Chuck: Well, you will have to state the favor, directly. 那么,你必须直接说出,要帮什么忙。
Judge:I need you to stay U.S. Attorney. 我需要您留任美国检察官。
——>> I’ve set my sights on governor. 我已经把目标定在了州长。
——>> I have bled for this caper [‘keɪpə(r)] . 我为这个目标付出了心血。
“Caper”(勾当/冒险):俚语,指一项活动、冒险或计划,有时带有恶作剧、非法或大胆的意味。
“Bled for the caper”是一个高度非正式且生动的习语,意思是为某项特定的冒险、计划或事业遭受了痛苦、牺牲或付出了高昂的代价(无论是财务上、身体上还是情感上)——通常指那些冒险的、愚蠢的或非传统的活动。该短语带有一种抱怨或精疲力竭后觉得理应得到回报的语气。
Daily Conversation:
Regrettable Purchase: “I bled for this caper—maxed out my credit card on this vintage guitar. I’d better become a rock star now.”
(我为这档子事可是大出血了——刷爆了信用卡买这把古董吉他。我最好现在就能成为摇滚明星。)Difficult Renovation: “We literally bled for this kitchen remodel—I smashed my thumb with a hammer! It had better be worth it.”
(为了这厨房装修的破事我们可是流了血——我拿锤子把自己拇指砸了!这最好物有所值。)Business Context:
Risky Startup: “Our team bled for this caper, working 80-hour weeks for a year. If this product launch fails, I’ll be devastated.”
(我们团队为这个项目可是呕心沥血,一年来每周工作80小时。要是这次产品发布失败了,我就全完了。)Costly Acquisition: “The company bled cash for this merger caper, and now the shareholders expect a massive return on our ‘investment’.”
(公司为这次合并行动大把烧钱,现在股东们就指望我们能获得巨额的投资回报了。)
——>> There must be another way to help you get over. 一定有其他方法能帮你达成目标。
Judge: There isn’t. 没有。
——>> If you’re gone, AG Jeffcoat will appoint someone new, 如果您走了,司法部长杰夫科特会任命一个新的人选,
——>> someone who won’t give a shit about me. 一个根本不会在乎我的人。
——>> Or the kinds of cases I need. 或者我需要的那些案件类型。
——>> Or worse, back another judge and bury me in garbage. 或者更糟,支持另一个法官,用垃圾案件埋了我。
——>> I can’t let you go. 我不能让您走。
——>> I understand it isn’t convenient for you, 我明白这对您不方便,
——>> but it wasn’t convenient for me to help you either… 但我帮您时也同样不方便……
——>> The shit I have done to position myself for this… 我为了给自己铺路所做的那些破事……
——>> Among those things: your oath to me. 其中就包括:您对我的誓言。
Chuck: I’m gonna need the night before I can give you an answer. 我需要一晚时间考虑才能给你答复。
Judge: I imagine you do. 我想也是。
——>> Each time I’m here, I’m more and more impressed 每次我来这里,都对你家的温馨
——>> with the warmth of your home 和你所营造的生活
——>> and the life you’ve built. 印象越来越深刻。
——>> It speaks to your character. 这说明了你的品格。
Wendy: You are considering it. 你在考虑(他的请求)。
Chuck: It seemed the least that I could do. 这似乎是我至少能做的。
——>> But I’m gonna tell him no. 但我会告诉他不行。
——>> I mean, I’ve committed– I’ve committed 我是说,我已经投入——我已经投入了
——>> too much thought and energy to this governor thing. 太多的心思和精力在州长这件事上。
Wendy: What about passion? 那热情呢?
——>> Excitement. What about fire? 兴奋呢?那团火呢?
——>> I see those things on your face 我在你脸上看到这些东西,
——>> every day you go to work at Southern. 在你每天去南区检察官办公室上班的时候。
——>> I always have. It’s one of the things I love about you. 我一直都看得到。这是我爱你的原因之一。
——>> No matter how difficult the situation, 无论情况多困难,
——>> how fucked it seems you are, you relish the fight. 看起来多糟糕,你都乐在其中。
——>> As long as there’s any game left, 只要还有任何博弈的空间,
——>> you play it ’til the very end. 你就会玩到底。
——>> Full out. 全力以赴。
Chuck: Why wouldn’t that be the case with the governorship? 为什么州长之位就不会是这样呢?
Wendy: Politics is a different kind of fight. 政治是另一种不同的斗争。
——>> It’s about consensus building and concession granting 那是关于建立共识、做出让步、
——>> and hand wringing [rɪŋɪŋ] and ass kissing. 焦虑不安和溜须拍马。
——>> But in your job now, you are a king. 但在你现在的职位上,你是个国王。
Wendy: You engage the battles you choose. 你选择你要打的仗。
——>> In the manner you choose. 用你选择的方式。
——>> You decide what’s right and what’s wrong. 你决定什么是对,什么是错。
——>> With no one to appease. 无需讨好任何人。
Chuck: Well, you’re forgetting Jock Jeffcoat. 嗯,你忘了杰夫科特。
Wendy: He’s a more powerful king, for the moment. 就目前而言,他是个更强大的国王。
——>> You’ve deposed his kind before. 你以前就扳倒过他那类人。
——>> Look what you just did to Jack Foley. And can do again. 看看你刚对杰克·弗利做了什么。你还能再做一次。
——>> You don’t want to be in politics, 你不想置身于政治之中,
——>> you want to be beyond politics. 你想超脱于政治之上。
——>> I am all in for you, Chuck. 我完全支持你,查克。
——>> But I can’t turn off the part of me 但我无法关闭我
——>> that does the job I do. 做我这份工作的那部分(能力/直觉)。
——>> And looking at you, 而看着你,
——>> I see someone 我看到一个人,
——>> who knows that one of those things 他知道这两条路中哪一条
——>> makes them feel truly alive. 让他真正感到活着。
——>> And that the other is gonna feel like an obligation. 而另一条路只会感觉像是一种义务。
这四个片段围绕 “set one’s sights on” 这一核心短语,从家庭、婚姻、育儿到事业,全方位展示了人性的复杂与抉择的艰难。学习英语不仅是记忆单词,更是通过这些精彩的剧情,理解语言背后的文化、心理和思维方式。希望这些剖析能让你在追剧的同时,获得超越语言本身的启迪。
These aren’t just dramatic moments – they’re masterclasses in persuasive English. From Lucia’s manipulative word choices to Wendy’s psychological insights, from Chuck’s political maneuvering to Axe’s parenting dilemmas – this is how successful people really communicate when everything is on the line!
Your Challenge: Watch these scenes again and listen for the “power phrases” – “set my sights on,” “read between the lines,” “orchestrated a perfect plan.” These are the expressions that separate intermediate English from native-level mastery!
Drop a comment below telling us which power play impressed you most! 👇 And remember: the best English learning happens when the drama gets real!



