看美剧《生活大爆炸》学地道英语口语表达
这是《生活大爆炸》第三季第20集《意大利面催化剂》中的一个场景,完美体现了该剧从谢尔顿完全缺乏社交直觉和对世界的字面理解中衍生出的幽默。背景是谢尔顿最近行为诡异,显得神神秘秘。他背地里和佩妮吃了顿晚饭,而他将此行为视为对好友伦纳德的严重背叛。他之所以感到内疚和偷偷摸摸,源于他对“兄弟如手足,女人如衣服”这句话的误解。他的朋友霍华德曾试图给他一些粗俗的男性交友建议,告诉了他这句话。

而谢尔顿,以其典型的思维方式,并没有把它当作一句随便的(虽然带有性别歧视的)关于男性友情的俗语,而是将其视为一条严格、具有约束力的道德准则。他坚信,与佩妮(被他错误地解读为“衣服”)建立独立的友谊,自己就违反了一条“男性同志”之间的神圣法则。整场对话就是他带着承认重大罪行的严肃态度,来坦白自己的“越轨”行为,并完全预期伦纳德会大发雷霆,他们的友谊也将就此结束。其幽默之处在于,一件微不足道的小事(一次友好的晚餐)与它给谢尔顿带来的巨大情绪波动之间形成了强烈的错位,而这一切都基于他对一个俚语有缺陷的、字面化的理解。

Sheldon: Leonard. Leonard. Leonard. 伦纳德。伦纳德。伦纳德。
Leonard: Oh, just come in! 哦,进来吧!
Sheldon: Thanks for seeing me on such short notice. 谢谢你这么快就见我。
Leonard: What do you want, Sheldon? 你想要什么,谢尔顿?
Sheldon: Maybe this isn’t a good time. 也许现在不是好时机。
Leonard: Tell me why you woke me up or I swear to God I will kill you. 告诉我你为什么吵醒我,不然我发誓我会杀了你。
Sheldon: Do you really think death threats 你真的认为死亡威胁,
——>> are an appropriate way to begin this conversation? 是开始这段对话的合适方式吗?
——>> Sometimes your lack of social skills astonishes me. 有时候你社交技能的缺乏让我惊讶。
Leonard: What do you want? 你想要什么?
Sheldon: You may want to sit down. 你或许想坐下。
Leonard: I’m in bed! 我在床上!
Sheldon: Point taken. 有道理。
——>> You may want to sit up. 你或许想坐起来。
Leonard: Sheldon! 谢尔顿!
Sheldon: I’ve been seeing Penny behind your back. 我一直在背着你见佩妮。
Leonard: Okay… 好吧……
——>> When you say “seeing Penny,” what exactly does that mean? 你说“见佩妮”,具体是什么意思?
Sheldon: We had dinner last night. 我们昨晚一起吃了晚饭。
——>> She made me spaghetti with little hot dogs cut up in it. 她给我做了意大利面,里面切了小热狗。
Leonard: Well, little hot dog. 嗯,小热狗。
Sheldon: I gave up the other five hot dogs to a real dog. 我把另外五根热狗给了一只真狗。
——>> A real, big dog. 一只真的,大狗。
——>> A hell hound. 一只地狱犬。
——>> Tangential to the primary story. 这是题外话。
——>> How about I circle back to it? 我待会儿再绕回来说?
Leonard: Fine. 行。
——>> Why did you have dinner with Penny? 你为什么和佩妮吃晚饭?
Sheldon: I told you, she made spaghetti with little hot dogs. 我告诉你了,她做了有小热狗的意大利面。
——>> I like spaghetti with little hot dogs. 我喜欢有小热狗的意大利面。
Leonard: Then why did you have Chinese food with us? 那你为什么还和我们一起吃中餐?
Sheldon: I didn’t want to upset you. 我不想让你难过。
——>> Howard made it very clear that my allegiance [ə’liːdʒəns] should be 霍华德说得很清楚,我的忠诚,
——>> to male comrades before women who sell their bodies for money. 应该献给男性同志,而非那些出卖身体换钱的女人。
Leonard: Is it possible he said, “Bros before hos“? 有没有可能他说的是“兄弟如手足,女人如衣服”?
Sheldon: Yes, but I rephrased it to avoid offending the hos. 是的,但我改了一下说法,以免冒犯那些“衣服”。
Leonard: Sheldon, I don’t care if you want to be friends with Penny. 谢尔顿,我不在乎你想和佩妮做朋友。
Sheldon: Oh. Well, so the emotional turmoil that’s been keeping me 哦。所以,那些一直让我,
——>> from achieving REM sleep was entirely unjustified? 无法进入快速眼动睡眠的情绪波动完全是多余的?
REM sleep stands for Rapid Eye Movement sleep, which is a stage of sleep characterized by quick movements of the eyes, vivid dreaming, increased brain activity, and temporary muscle paralysis. It’s considered the most restorative part of the sleep cycle, essential for learning, memory, and emotional health. (快速眼动睡眠(REM sleep) 是睡眠周期中的一个阶段,其特点是 眼球快速运动、梦境生动、大脑活动增强,同时身体大多数肌肉处于暂时麻痹状态。它是睡眠中最有助于 记忆整合、学习能力与情绪恢复 的阶段。)
Leonard: Yes. 是的。
Sheldon: Well… then as my meemaw [ˈmiː.mɔː] would say, 嗯……那就如我外婆常说的,
——>> “Looks like we butchered a pig, but nobody wanted bacon.” “看来我们白杀了一头猪,没人想要培根。”
Leonard: I guess not. 我想是的。
Sheldon: And now, as promised, the tangent. 现在,如之前所言,说说题外话。
——>> Sheldon and the Hell Hound. 谢尔顿与地狱犬。
——>> Or How I Lost My Hot Dogs. 又名:我如何失去了我的热狗。
This scene from The Big Bang Theory S03E20, titled “The Spaghetti Catalyst,” is a quintessential example of the show’s humor derived from Sheldon’s utter lack of social intuition and his literal interpretation of the world.
The context is that Sheldon has been acting strangely secretive. He secretly had dinner with Penny, an act he perceives as a profound betrayal of his friendship with Leonard. The reason for his guilt and secrecy stems from his misunderstanding of the phrase “Bros before hos.” His friend Howard, in an attempt to offer crude male bonding advice, told him this phrase. Sheldon, being Sheldon, took it not as a casual (if sexist) proverb about male friendship, but as a strict, binding ethical code.
He believes that by forming an independent friendship with Penny (the “ho” in this misguided interpretation), he has violated a sacred rule of “male comrades.” The entire conversation is him confessing to this “transgression” with the gravity of someone admitting to a major crime, fully expecting Leonard to be furious and their friendship to be over. The humor brilliantly arises from the colossal mismatch between the trivial event (a friendly dinner) and the immense emotional turmoil it causes Sheldon, all based on his flawed, literal-minded processing of a slang phrase.



