看美剧纸牌屋学英语:Frank示范权力博弈手段

故事发生在白宫的一间会议室。总统 Frank Underwood 召集民主党高层与顾问们,表面上是要讨论是否竞选连任的问题。众人满怀期待,以为这将是他正式宣布参选的时刻。然而——Frank 话锋一转,说自己“不会竞选总统(I will not run for president)”。在众人错愕的神情中,他一步步展开自己的“说服布局”——看似谦逊、实则掌控全场。

看美剧纸牌屋学英语:圆桌会议

他在桌上虚拟出一场“政治地图”,用时间线演示:“如果我竞选,我会被筹款、辩论、选战拖入泥潭,18个月都无法真正执政。”
于是,他抛出真正的目的——

“I want to spend these next 18 months dedicated to one thing: America Works.”
“我想把接下来的十八个月,全心投入一件事:‘美国就业计划’。”

这是他的“杀手锏”——以“不竞选”的姿态换取“全面执政”的空间。整段对话是一场政治语言的表演,也是一种心理战。他用“放弃个人利益”的姿态换来“绝对权力”,让在座的政客们一时无从反驳。

Frank Underwood: Thank you. Please. 谢谢,各位请坐。
——>> I put a great deal of thought into what you’ve all asked of me. 你们对我的请求,我已深思熟虑。
——>> I challenged myself to keep an open mind. 我不断挑战自己,保持开放心态。
——>> And my decision is: I will not run for president. 我的决定是:我将不竞选连任总统。

  • Surface Meaning: A straightforward declaration of his intention not to seek re-election. (一个不寻求连任的直白声明。)

  • True Meaning (to the audience): A calculated lie designed to lower his opponents’ guards and set the stage for a political trap. He admits this is “too good to be true.” (一个经过算计的谎言,旨在让对手放松警惕并设下政治陷阱。他自己也承认这“好得令人难以置信”。)

  • Strategic Meaning (to the room): This is not a concession; it is the opening gambit in a high-stakes negotiation. By presenting himself as self-sacrificing, he immediately puts the others in his debt and seizes the moral high ground. (这不是让步;而是一场高风险谈判的开局棋。通过将自己塑造成自我牺牲的形象,他立即让其他人感觉欠他人情,并占据了道德制高点。)

(To the audience, in a monologue)
Frank: Look, they’re thinking 看,他们在想,
——>> it’s too good to be true, and it is. 这好得令人难以置信,确实如此。
——>> I lied in the Oval [‘əʊvl] Office before. 我以前在椭圆办公室就撒过谎。
——>> I didn’t want to take the chance this time. 这次我不想冒这个险。
——>> It’s too big a deal to jinx [dʒɪŋks] myself. 这事关重大,不能自己给自己触霉头
——>> At nine o’clock tonight, 今晚九点,
——>> I will announce to the nation my decision. 我将向全国宣布我的决定。

(Back to the room)
Bob Birch: What’s the catch? 有什么条件?
Frank Underwood: I wanted us to meet here in this room for a reason. 我把大家召集到这个房间开会是有原因的。
——>> For the past five months, 在过去的五个月里,
——>> my team has sat at this very table, developing America Works. 我的团队就坐在这张桌子旁,制定《美国就业》计划。
——>> You know how much the program means to me, 你们知道这个计划对我有多重要,
——>> and I want it to mean as much to you. 我也希望它对你们同样重要。
Bob Birch: – So there is a catch. – 所以还是有条件。
Frank Underwood: – No, an opportunity. – 不,是一个机会。

  • Bob Birch accurately identifies a hidden condition, calling it a “catch.” (鲍勃·伯奇准确识别了隐藏的条件,称之为“Catch”。)

  • Frank instantly reframes it as an “opportunity.” This semantic shift is crucial. He redefines the political burden he is imposing (support for America Works) as a mutual benefit, forcing them to view it through a lens of potential gain rather than loss. (弗兰克 立即将其重新定义为“机会”。这种语义转换至关重要。他将自己强加的政治负担(支持《美国就业》计划)重新定义为互利互惠,迫使对方从潜在收益而非损失的角度来看待它。)

——>> Look, we all know the– 听着,我们都知道——
——>> All right, let’s just say for… argument’s sake 好吧,我们就此争论打个比方……
——>> that this table here 假设这张桌子
——>> represents the next year and a half, all right? 代表未来一年半的时间,好吗?
——>> So, this is us right now. 那么,这里就是我们现在的处境。
——>> And down there at the end, that’s the election. 而在那一头,就是大选。
——>> Now, if I did run, I’d spend the next few months fundraising. 现在,如果我参选,我将在未来几个月忙于筹款。
——>> And then somewhere around here, I’d formally announce. 然后大约在这里,我会正式宣布参选。
——>> And then even if I did win the nomination, 接着,即使我赢得了提名,
——>> say, somewhere around here, 比如说,大约在这里,
——>> I’d start to have to face off 我将开始不得不与
——>> with a Republican challenger, probably Mendoza. 一位共和党的挑战者交锋,很可能是门多萨。
——>> And then things would get brutal. 然后情况会变得很残酷。
——>> Daily, daily events. 日复一日的竞选活动。
——>> Fending off attacks. 抵御攻击。
——>> Launching my own. 发起我的攻击。
——>> And… you’re right. 而且……你们是对的。
——>> In the end… 最终……
——>> …I’d probably lose. ……我很可能会输。
——>> I would spend 18 months campaigning, 我将花18个月进行竞选,
——>> which would leave no time to govern. 这将导致没有时间治国。
——>> But you have opened my eyes. 但是你们让我看清了
——>> I feel liberated. 我感到解脱了。
——>> I want to spend these next 18 months dedicated to one thing: 我想在未来18个月里专注于一件事:
——>> America Works. But I need your help to do it. 《美国就业》计划。但我需要你们的帮助来实现它。

看美剧纸牌屋学英语:Frank and Bob
Bob Birch: You’re putting an awfully big price tag on this, Mr. President. 您为此开出的价码可真高啊,总统先生。
Frank Underwood: No, you’ve put an awfully big price tag on this. 不,是你们开出了高得离谱的价码。
——>> You’re asking me to be a placeholder for 18 months 你们要求我做一个18个月的过渡总统,
——>> and I intend to govern. 而我打算真正地治国理政。

  • Frank accuses the party of wanting him to be a “placeholder”—a passive, lame-duck president who merely keeps the seat warm. (弗兰克 指责党内希望他成为一个“过渡者”——一个被动、即将卸任、只是占着位置的总统。即所谓的Lame Duck [跛脚鸭] )

  • He contrasts this with his intention to “govern,” a word imbued [ɪm’bjuːd] with action, power, and legacy-building. This semantic framing paints the party as petty and short-sighted while positioning himself as a serious leader. (他将此与他打算“治国”的意图进行对比,“治国”这个词充满了行动、权力和遗产建设的意味。这种语义框架将党内同仁描绘成狭隘短视,而将自己定位为严肃的领导人。)

——>> And if America Works succeeds, 如果《美国就业》计划成功,
——>> then whoever you choose to run in 2016 那么无论你们选择谁在2016年参选,
——>> not only has the backing of a united party, 不仅将得到一个团结的政党的支持
——>> but a formidable legacy. 还将继承一份强大的政治遗产。
Jackie Sharp: But Social Security? Benefits. Entitlements. 但是社会保障呢?福利。权益性支出。
——>> We don’t want to present a fresh face 我们不想推出一个新面孔,
——>> only to shoot ourselves in the foot. 结果却搬起石头砸自己的脚
Frank Underwood: Then let’s not pretend to unite the party, 那我们就不必假装团结全党了,
——>> let’s unite the party behind this legislation. 让我们团结全党来支持这项立法。

  • Frank dismisses the abstract, difficult goal of “uniting the party” and replaces it with a concrete, singular objective: passing his bill. He semantically merges the party’s fate with his own project’s success, making support for America Works the very definition of party unity. (弗兰克摒弃了“团结全党”这个抽象而困难的目标,并将其替换为一个具体、单一的目标:通过他的法案。他在语义上将民主党的命运与他个人项目的成功捆绑在一起,使得支持《美国就业》计划成为了党内团结的定义本身。)

Catherine Durant: We’ll never get it past the Republicans. 我们永远无法让它在共和党那里通过。
Frank Underwood: We are not here to negotiate! 我们不是来这里谈判的!
——>> You want forward-thinking, Bob? Then think forward. 你想要前瞻性思维吗,鲍勃?那就向前看。
——>> You want a fresh face for 2016? You wanna work together? 你们想在2016年推出新面孔?想合作?
——>> Then present my program to Congress. 那就把我的计划提交给国会。
——>> And if it dies there, so be it. 如果它在国会夭折,那就顺其自然。
——>> But I want us to fucking try! 但我要我们他妈的去尝试!
——>> I am prepared to vacate this chair. 我已经准备好让出这个位置(总统宝座)。
——>> Meet me halfway. 请你们也向我靠拢。

看美剧纸牌屋学英语

The decision to translate “Meet me halfway” as “向我靠拢” (Move toward me) instead of the more common “各退一步” (Take a step back, each) was a deliberate choice based on a nuanced analysis of the scene’s context, power dynamics, and Frank Underwood’s strategic posture. 

  1. Context of Preceding Action:

    • Frank has just made a monumental, unilateral concession: surrendering his bid for re-election. This is not the starting point of a negotiation but a fait accompli. (他刚刚宣布了一个惊天动地、出乎所有人意料的决定——放弃竞选连任美国总统。在政治层面上,这是他所能做出的最大、最彻底的让步。)

    • In his view, he has already moved “halfway”—or even further—by vacating the ultimate political prize. The phrase is not an invitation to find a middle ground from two entrenched [ɪnˈtrentʃt] positions, but a demand for the others to accept the new reality he has created and move into his territory. (他已经从权力的竞逐赛中主动退出了。党内同僚们最初的诉求是让他成为一个安静的“过渡者”,但他们并未付出任何实际成本。)

  2. Asymmetrical Power Dynamics:

    • “各退一步” implies a mutual, symmetrical compromise between equal parties. It suggests both sides relinquish something from their original stance. (这个翻译隐含了 “相互性”和“对等妥协” 。它暗示双方都坚守着各自的原始立场,需要通过各自让步来找到一个中间点。这适用于平等主体之间的谈判。)

    • “向我靠拢” captures the one-sided, commanding nature of Frank’s demand. Having made his “sacrifice,” he is not negotiating; he is presenting a bill that must be paid. The power dynamic is not equal—he is the President dictating terms after a strategic retreat. (这个翻译精准地捕捉了弗兰克此时的命令口吻和不对等的权力关系。他作为总统,在抛出自己的巨大牺牲后,不是在请求对方同样让步,而是在要求对方接受他的新议程。这是一种单向的、自上而下的要求。)

  3. Strategic Posture and Intent:

    • Frank’s entire monologue is a strategic gambit designed to trade his withdrawal from the race for their unconditional support of his America Works program. ()

    • The line, “I am prepared to vacate this chair. Meet me halfway,” forms a logical sequence: “I have given up the ultimate power (the chair). Now, you must move to my position (on my bill).”

    • Using “各退一步” would be semantically inconsistent, as it would imply Frank has something left to concede after already giving up the presidency. “向我靠拢” accurately reflects that he has ended his movement and is now demanding action from them.

In essence, the translation “向我靠拢” was chosen because it precisely conveys the asymmetrical, post-concession demand of a powerful figure who has already redefined the battlefield, rather than the mutual compromise of a standard negotiation.

翻译选项 适用场景 在《纸牌屋》该场景中的贴合度
各退一步 平等谈判、商业协商、解决纠纷 不贴合。弗兰克已做出终极让步,不存在他“再退一步”的空间。
向我靠拢 一方已做出实质性让步后,要求对方接受其条件;强势领导下的指令 极度贴合。精准反映了弗兰克已完成其战略撤退,正命令对手进入他的战场

欧文点评:这是《纸牌屋》中一场精妙的权力博弈场景。总统弗兰克·安德伍德召集了民主党高层领导人和核心顾问(包括党魁鲍勃·伯奇、党鞭杰姬·夏普以及国务卿凯瑟琳·杜兰特等),表面上是为了回应他们要求他竞选连任的请求。

场景的核心是一场“以退为进”的心理战与权力交易。 弗兰克出人意料地宣布放弃竞选连任,并将自己塑造为一个为了国家利益而牺牲个人野心的“解放者”。然而,这并非退场,而是一种更高明的控制策略。他利用自己即将成为“跛脚鸭”总统的既定事实作为杠杆,要求全党将所有的政治资本押注在他的标志性法案——《美国就业》计划上。

他用会议桌形象地描绘了未来18个月的两种图景:一条是注定失败的竞选之路,另一条是专注于治国理政、留下政治遗产的道路。他迫使党内的同僚们做出选择:是接受他的条件,共同推动这项可能团结全党并留下强大遗产的法案;还是与他为敌,面对一个可能主动让位、导致党内分裂的总统。

整个对话在表面上的理性讨论之下,充满了威胁、愤怒和赤裸裸的权力胁迫。弗兰克最终撕下伪装,用一句“我他妈的要我们至少去尝试!”将会议从协商变成了最后通牒,展现了他不惜一切代价也要实现自己目标的决心。

This is a scene of exquisite power struggle from House of Cards. President Frank Underwood has gathered senior Democratic leaders and key advisors (including Party Whip Bob Birch, House Majority Whip Jackie Sharp, and Secretary of State Catherine Durant), ostensibly to respond to their request for him to run for re-election.

The core of the scene is a psychological and power-play “feigned retreat to advance.” Frank surprisingly announces his decision not to run, portraying himself as “liberated” and sacrificing personal ambition for the national good. However, this is not a withdrawal but a more sophisticated control strategy. He uses his impending status as a “lame duck” president as leverage, demanding the party stake all its political capital on his signature bill, the America Works Act.

He uses the conference table to visually depict two paths for the next 18 months: one leading to a doomed campaign trail, the other focused on governance and building a legacy. He forces his colleagues to choose: accept his terms and jointly push for a bill that could unite the party and leave a formidable legacy, or oppose him and face a president who might vacate his seat, potentially splitting the party.

Beneath the surface of rational discussion, the entire dialogue is filled with threats, anger, and raw power coercion. Frank ultimately sheds his disguise, turning the meeting from a negotiation into an ultimatum with the line, “I want us to fucking try!” demonstrating his determination to achieve his goals at any cost.

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

本站所有资源版权均属于原作者所有,这里所提供资源均只能用于参考学习用,请勿直接商用。若由于商用引起版权纠纷,一切责任均由使用者承担。更多说明请参考 VIP介绍。

最常见的情况是下载不完整: 可对比下载完压缩包的与网盘上的容量,若小于网盘提示的容量则是这个原因。这是浏览器下载的bug,建议用百度网盘软件或迅雷下载。 若排除这种情况,可在对应资源底部留言,或联络我们。

对于会员专享、私藏软件、高频短语、句型结构、修辞应用等类型的素材,文章内用于介绍的图片通常并不包含在对应可供下载素材包内。这些相关商业图片需另外购买,且本站不负责(也没有办法)找到出处。 同样地一些字体文件也是这种情况,但部分素材会在素材包内有一份字体下载链接清单。

如果您已经成功付款但是网站没有弹出成功提示,请联系站长提供付款信息为您处理

源码素材属于虚拟商品,具有可复制性,可传播性,一旦授予,不接受任何形式的退款、换货要求。请您在购买获取之前确认好 是您所需要的资源