Desperate Housewives S01E08-Part01
Sinner[ˈsɪnə(r)]：A person who has broken a religious or moral law. (罪人)
Mortal sin（严重的罪行） Venial[‘viːniəl] sin：（轻微的罪行）
A mortal sin, in Catholic theology, is a gravely sinful act, which can lead to damnation if a person does not repent of the sin before death. A sin is considered to be “mortal” when its quality is such that it leads to a separation of that person from God’s saving grace. Three conditions must together be met for a sin to be mortal: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”
The sin against the Holy Ghost and the sins that cry to Heaven for vengeance are considered especially serious. This type of sin is distinguished from a venial sin that simply leads to a weakening of a person’s relationship with God. Despite its gravity, a person can repent of having committed a mortal sin. Such repentance is the primary requisite for forgiveness and absolution.
Seven Cardinal sins：七宗罪 (犯此等罪者入地狱 )
The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices or cardinal sins, is a grouping and classification of vices of Christian origin. Behaviors or habits are classified under this category if they directly give birth to other immoralities. According to the standard list, they are pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth, which are also contrary to the seven virtues. These sins are often thought to be abuses or excessive versions of one’s natural faculties or passions (for example, gluttony abuses one’s desire to eat).
Straight A： “A” is the highest mark in many grading systems. To get straight-As at school or college is to get the best grade in exams and papers. （最优等成绩）
Second base: （第二垒）相关背景文化知识参考如下：
Baseball metaphors for sex （棒球活动与性爱的隐喻关联）
Among the most commonly used metaphors is the progress of a batter and base-runner in describing levels of physical intimacy (traditionally from a heterosexual perspective). Definitions vary, but the following are typical usages of the terms:
- Strikeout – a failure to engage in any form of foreplay or other sexual activity;
- First base – mouth-to-mouth kissing, especially French kissing;
- Second base – skin-to-skin touching/kissing of the breasts; in some contexts, it may instead refer to touching any erogenous zones through the clothes (i.e., not actually touching the skin);
- Third base – touching below the waist (without sexual intercourse) or manual stimulation of the genitals; in some contexts, it may instead refer to oral stimulation of the genitals;
- Home run (home base or scoring) – “full” (penetrative) sexual intercourse